Explore the Sun with these hands-on activities!
The Sun (also called Sol) is the star at the center of our Solar System. Its gravity holds the solar system together. The Sun's warmth and light make life possible on Earth. Discover more about the shadows, eclipses, and how scientists explore the Sun from far away!
Note: PDFs meet accessibility standards. If you encounter any issues, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NEW! Solar Plasma Collage: Explore the Sun’s plasma, variable temperature and density through art.
- Solar Viewer: Create a solar viewer to safely observe the Sun. Watch a how-to video here! Find more sun observation ideas on the Sunspotter page. Remember: Never look directly at the Sun! It can seriously hurt your eyes.
- Make Snow Goggles: Discover traditional technology to protect eyes from sunlight.
- Build A Model Solar Probe: Discover the Parker Solar Probe and embark on a mission to the Sun. Watch a how-to video here!
- Create A Sun Print: Make your own artwork using ultraviolet light from the Sun.
- Straw Painting The Sun: Explore the dynamic sun through the fun of straw painting.
- Explore Albedo: Create an albedo collage and see which surfaces absorb or reflect heat from the Sun.
- Design a Shoebox Solar Home: Explore solar energy and insulation with a hands-on experiment.
- Kinesthetic Astronomy: Investigate the seasons, equinoxes, and solstices as you act out the orbits of planets around the Sun.
- Arctic Seasons Model: Build a Sun-Earth model to explore changing seasons in the Arctic.
- Bear's Shadow: Explore the idea of shadows with younger kids. How does the sun create a shadow on an object or person? How can you move that shadow by moving the source of light?
- Big Sun/Small Moon: Discover how we can see a solar eclipse on Earth. Try this activity with different
sized balls you have available.
- Solar Eclipse: Visually demonstrate how the shadow of the moon moves over the earth during an eclipse.
- Eclipse Chalk Art: The corona is the outermost part of the Sun's atmosphere, and is only visible during a solar eclipse. Create chalk art and discover the Sun’s corona. Learn more about the Sun's atmosphere.
Find more Sun activities at the Solar Week website!
Video: Exploring the Sun
Discover fun facts about the Sun, and create a suncatcher!
- Exploring the Sun: Create A Suncatcher: Make a suncatcher, inspired by images of the Sun!
For more Sun activities, go to these pages:
- Virtual Early Explorers (ages 5 and under, with adult)
- Virtual Junior Curators (ages 6 and up, with adult)
- Virtual Family Days (all ages)
This project was funded under NASA cooperative agreement NNX16AL65A and cooperative agreement number NNH15ZDA004C. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.