The Swan Point site is on a hill that overlooks the wetlands of the Shaw Creek Flats,
and contained the evidence of multiple occupations that date back to 14,000 years
ago. These flats are within the traditional territories of the Salcha-Goodpaster bands
of the Middle Tanana Athabascans. Shaw Creek meanders across the flats and has the
name Debedee Na', meaning 'sheep horn creek', and its mouth Debe Dacheege, or ‘sheep
mouth’ in the Middle Tanana Language.
An Athabascan tradition component dates between 1040 and 1260. From the items recovered,
we can see that a small hunting band camped on the hill while observing game in the
wetlands beneath. They had a campfire, butchered game, cached food in a pit, and repaired
weapons. Other Athabascan tools found at Swan Point include stone and antler projectile
points for hunting animals, an adze fragment for chopping bone or wood, boulder spall
scrapers for skinning, and a copper awl for piercing hides.