Chena river through town float
6:00pm - Meet at the OA office in the SRC. Gear up, and depart.
6:45pm - Get onto the Chena River in Downtown Fairbanks
8:00pm - Arrive back at UAF
Come out and Canoe on the Chena River through town. We will head to downtown Fairbanks and paddle the Chena River which flows through the heart of Fairbanks. This couple hour paddle is a great way to get to know the town a bit. Canoes, transportation, trip leaders are provided.
Things to bring:
- Shoes or boots that can get wet and keep you warm in the weather conditions (OA can provide Neoprene water shoes)
- Daypack - to carry food, water, and extra clothes for the day (OA can provide a small dry bag)
- Hiking pants, softshell pants or rain pants (No Cotton Jeans)
- Synthetic or wool base layers top
- Light fleece or wool sweater (NO COTTON)
- Rain jacket
- Water/wind proof pants
- Light puffy jacket
- Light hat and gloves
- Sunglasses (Optional)
- Water bottle, lunch and/or snacks for an afternoon out.
Safety and Risk Management:
Due to the nature of outdoor travel there are certain inherent risks in all of Outdoor Adventure’s trips. Acceptable risks include but are not limited to: flipping a canoe, getting wet while on the trip, and unpredictable weather. We will wear PFD’s at all times on the water. Conditions may include below freezing temperatures, thunderstorms, rain, sleet and high winds. Driving risks may include slick roads, poor visibility and wildlife. Alaska is a wild place - you need to take ultimate responsibility for your own safety as only you can. For your protection we require you to carry health insurance. You can purchase insurance for $2.60/day from the University (ask for details). All info is subject to change due to safety, weather, current conditions, etc.!
If you have any questions please contact us or visit our office in the SRC.