Strategic Plans & Themes
UAF Strategic Guidance & Core Accreditation Themes
UAF Accreditation Core Themes:
- Educate: Undergraduate and Graduate Students and Lifelong Learners
- Research: To Create and Disseminate New Knowledge, Insight, Technology, Artistic and Scholarly Works
- Prepare: Alaska’s Career, Technical, and Professional Workforce
- Connect: Alaska Native, Rural, and Urban Communities by Sharing Knowledge and Ways of Knowing
- Engage: Alaskans through Outreach for Continuing Education and Community and Economic Development
UAF Strategic Plan Themes:
- Educate students to be informed, responsible, active citizens by incorporating real-world experiences and applications into the undergraduate curriculum.
- Promote UAF as Alaska’s premier research enterprise in partnership with state agencies, industry, and civic organizations.
- Serve Alaska’s diverse communities in ways that are more responsive and accessible and enhance the social, economic, and environmental well-being of individuals and communities.
- Improve assistance to students in making transitions across all phases of the education continuum.
- Expand graduate programs in targeted areas of identified need and existing strengths.
- Enhance UAF’s competitive advantage by attracting and keeping the best and brightest students and faculty.
- Develop innovative approaches to resource management that support the University’s mission and position UAF to meet the challenges of the future.
UA System Strategic Frameworks
UA Goals & Measures:
- Contribute to Alaska's economic development
- Increase STEM graduates
- Increase number of invention disclosures
- Provide Alaska's skilled workforce
- Increase percentage of educators hired
- Double number of health program completions
- Grow our world class
- Lead the world in Arctic related research
- Increase research expenditures
- Increase degree attainment
- Fiscal Year Student Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
- Increase completions
- Goal 5: Operate more cost effectively
- Decrease total cost of education (indirect and direct) per completer
- Increase annual completions per Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
UA Strategic Pathways:
Focus: We will reduce unnecessary redundancy to more cost effectively meet the state's higher education needs by focusing each university on its unique strengths.
Access: We will increase Alaskans’ participation in higher education by maximizing use of innovations in e-Learning, supporting high demand programs, and ensuring affordability.
Scope: We will offer a broad array of academic degree and certificate programs across the university system, though not all programs will necessarily be available at all locations.
Excellence: We commit to excellence in everything we do, in the classroom, in our labs, and in the communities we serve.
Consistency: We will streamline and increase consistency in business practices, policies, processes, and systems that support expedited student progress.
Fiscal Sustainability: We seek to be more entrepreneurial in our strategies to grow and diversify our revenues.
UA Shaping Alaska's Future (Strategic Direction Initiatives - SDI) Themes:
- Student Achievement and Attainment
- Productive Partnerships with Alaska’s Schools
- Productive Partnerships with Alaska’s Public and Private Industries
- Research and Development to Help Build and Sustain Alaska’s Economic Growth
- Accountability to the People of Alaska