When a class reaches its maximum enrollment, it is listed as "closed." Many courses offer a waitlist option to allow you to wait for a seat in the class should an opening occur.
If you want to be added to the waitlist for a closed class, select "waitlist" from the drop-down menu on the registration screen at UAOnline and select Submit Changes. If you no longer want to be waitlisted for a class, you can drop your name from the waitlist by following the instructions for dropping a course.
If space becomes available in a class and your name is at the top of the waitlist, you will receive an auto-generated email sent to your preferred email account. (You can find out what your preferred email is by checking UAOnline under the Personal Information menu. If your preferred email is incorrect, contact the Office of the Registrar to get it changed.)
The email will instruct you to register for the class through UAOnline within a certain amount of time. Please read the email carefully as the amount of time you have to register after receiving the email decreases as the start of the semester approaches.
You can set up your email account to forward waitlist notification emails to your cell phone as a text message. These instructions are specifically for @alaska.edu email accounts, Forwarding may be possible from other types of email accounts but the steps may vary.
If you do not register within the amount of time specified by the email), the system removes you from the waitlist, and the next student is given the opportunity to register. You may add yourself back onto the waitlist, and you will be notified again by email if a space becomes available.
You will not be able to add yourself to the waitlist if:
- prerequisites or co-requisites for the course have not been met,
- special approvals are needed for a course, and/or
- course restrictions are not met for a course (i.e. Class, Major, Level or Campus, etc.)
You are not charged for a wait-listed course until you are actually enrolled in it. You may complete registration and pay tuition and fees for other classes in which you are enrolled.
You can find out your position on the waitlist by checking your class schedule on UAOnline.
Yes. Attend the first day of class for any classes for which you have been waitlisted. Let the instructor know you are on the waitlist but not enrolled in the class.
You can add yourself to a waitlist until the day the class begins. After the class begins, you will need the instructor’s permission to enroll. Being on the waitlist does not guarantee you a seat in the class.
- You are not charged tuition and fees for wait-listed classes. Charges apply only after you are actually enrolled in the class.
- Wait-listed classes are not included in the total number of credits used to calculate your financial aid.
- If financial aid has already been applied to your account and you subsequently enroll in a class from the waitlist, tuition and fees are due by the payment deadline to avoid late charges.
- Classes added later from a waitlist can be paid for when they are added.