Register for classes
If you just want to take a class without applying to a degree program or financial aid at UAF, follow these steps. Courses you take can still count towards a degree later. If you registered as a nondegree student at any UAF campus within the last two years, you may skip to step 2.
Apply for admission and select the "I'm applying as... nondegree, I want to take some classes" option on the program selection page. There is no charge to apply as a nondegree student. Once your are admitted, you will receive an email notification with directions to activate your account.
If you are under 18 and have not yet graduated from high school, you may be required to complete a Secondary Student Parent/Guardian Agreement (See Miscellaneous).
If you’re new to UAF and want to apply for admission, visit our admissions page for more information about coming to UAF.
Meet with your academic advisor to discuss class options for the semester.
If you have a registration hold, you may not register until the hold is removed by the initiating office. Registration holds may result from:
- Required Academic Advising. Schedule an advising appointment and meet with your academic advisor to enable registration.
- Unpaid tuition and fees/outstanding balances on your student account (e.g., parking fines, course fees). See the Bursar's Office, or call 907-474-7384.
- Registration hold for Parent/Guardian Agreement form. See the Office of the Registrar, or call 907-474-6300.
- Judicial/disciplinary holds. See the Office of Rights, Compliance and Accountability, or call 907-474-7317.
- UA system holds. Because UAF is part of a statewide system, a hold at one unit of the University of Alaska will affect your registration at all UA units.
- Other registration holds. Stop by the Office of the Registrar on the 1st floor of Signers' Hall, or call 907-474-6300.
Some courses require prerequisites or instructor permission. If you would like instructor permission to take a course as a non degree student, contact the instructor.