Title IV Authorization

What are federal Title IV funds?

Title IV funds are federal student aid from federal programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education. The Department of Education only allows institutions to use your Federal Student Aid to pay for current academic year institutional charges, unless you have granted permission to apply these funds to non-institutional charges for both the current aid year or a prior aid year.

Title IV funds include:

  • Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan
  • Direct Graduate Plus Loan
  • Parent Plus Loan
  • Pell Grant
  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)


Federal regulations require that the University apply Title IV funds to ‘allowable charges,’ which are tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board charges contracted with the University. 

However, the University allows many departments to assess charges to your student account in order to consolidate billing.  These charges are otherwise known as non-institutional charges, which may include, but are not limited to, post office boxes, library fines, health center charges, parking decals and fines, textbook loans, and Bear Bucks.  

  • The University must obtain your authorization to apply Title IV aid to all charges appearing on your student account within the same aid year, except for finance charges (finance charges are late fees and payment plan enrollment fees).  
  • The University must also obtain your authorization to apply Title IV aid to non-institutional charges from a prior aid year, only up to $200. 

Impact on your student account

Your permission to authorize financial aid to pay for these charges will expedite the settlement of your student account. If authorization is not received prior to the refund of Title IV aid, Title IV funding will not be applied to all charges and you will have a remaining account balance even though you have received a refund. This may result in an outstanding balance on your student account and could cause late charges to be assessed.

How to consent, decline, or rescind

You may authorize the use of aid, decline authorization, or rescind a previous authorization.  You must do this for both current year charges and prior year charges.  The authorization covers your entire academic career at UAF unless there is a cessation in enrollment.  Rescinding the authorization is valid as of the date received and is not retroactive.  If you decline or rescind the authorization, you will be responsible for paying non-institutional charges.

How to get to Touchnet

Consents are located at uaonline.alaska.edu > choose Pay My Bill > choose Make Payments or View an OnDemand Schedule-Bill.

How to view or change consent

Go to the Touchnet home screen and then to Consents and Agreements

Title IV How To

Choose View next to the consent that needs a change.

Title IV Consents and Agreements