FLPA 190/290 Fall 2020 Audition Workshop
WHEN: Thursday August 27, 2020.
WHO: All FLPA majors registered for the FLPA 190/290, 0 credit Audition Workshop.
WHAT: **SELF-TAPE AUDITION WORKSHOP** Professors Baker and Salganek will share some pointers about self-tape auditions. Students will then submit a self-tape audition for She Kills Monsters: Virtual Realms by Monday August 31st.
- We will be using audition sides from the film She Kills Monsters: Virtual Realms written by Qui Nguyen.
- Submission Instructions are at https://uaf.edu/theatrefilm/auditions/
- Students should submit an acting resume. Actor resume templates are available online HERE
- Use your cell phone or computer camera to record your audition.
- You should “slate” your self-tape which is when the actor speaks into the camera and introduces herself and her audition piece or the role for which she is auditioning. Make sure to rehearse this slate. A typical slate would be (looking into the camera…the only time you ever look into the camera!): “Hi my name is ____________ and I a reading for the role of ___________.” Then take a moment to gather yourself, look at your reader, and begin your scene.
- Remember that you will be on-camera, so you should not use a lot of big physical movements. The camera will be on a medium close-up of you (shoulders up).
- The “reader” (actor who is reading the scene with you) will be to the side of the camera. Do not move toward the reader…stay in frame!
- What to wear: Wear clothes that you are comfortable in and that are appropriate for the side you have chosen, but also honor the formality of an audition. Avoid crazy-patterned shirts and make sure your hair is not in your face.
Have questions? Contact Professor Baker (email@example.com)