UAF Research and Creative Activity Day
Overhead view of the 2023 RCA Day event. Photo Credit: Marina Barbosa Santos
Research and Creative Activity (RCA) Day is UAF's annual celebration of undergraduate student experiences across campus!
RCA Day 2024: April 4th
All participating students will be considered for the following awards:
Dean's Choice Award: $250
Honorable Mention Award: $150
All attending students may enter in an attendance prize drawing for one of two $500 prizes!
All UAF students, faculty, staff, and the community at large are invited to attend. *Attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or caretaker.*
This annual event allows students to showcase their scholarly experiences from the current academic year.
In the past, students have participated with:
- A poster submission
- Speeches and performances
- Art submissions and creative displays
Both URSA and non-URSA students are encouraged to participate.
Japanese Speech participants stand with their mentor, Chisato Murakami.
Photo Credit: Eric Marshall.
Wood Center Lobby
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
No later than 11:59 PM
Submit your poster PDF (for free printing), performance videos, and art submissions for archiving!
No later than 11:59 PM
Wood Center Multilevel Lounge
10 AM -5 PM
|Posters available for public viewing in the Wood Center Multilevel Lounge.
Undergraduate presentation session and judging period
Frequently asked questions
Any UAF undergraduate student who is participating in, or has completed, their own mentor-supervised research or creative project can participate in RCA Day.
- Students from all disciplines and all UAF-affiliated campuses are invited to share
their work at this event.
- UAF Campuses Include: Bristol Bay, Chukchi, CTC, Troth Yeddha’, Interior Alaska, Kuskokwim, Northwest
- Individual and group presentations are both allowed.
- Students do not need prior affiliation with URSA in order to participate!
- Whether you worked with another research unit on campus, completed a project in a course, or completed an independent project with a mentor- you can participate!
- Projects do not need to be completed works! In-progress projects showing their preliminary or anticipated results are also welcome.
Research and creative endeavours can range widely in form depending on the discipline. What is important is that your work was mentor-supervised, is original, and represents scholarly effort.
- Projects may take the form of the final product of an URSA award or UAF-affiliated research, a capstone course or senior thesis, or university-sanctioned project.
- If you have any questions regarding a specific project, please contact the URSA Office at email@example.com.
Day of the event:
- Posters publicly displayed (10 a.m.):Posters will be hung on display beginning at 10 a.m.. Students are encouraged to be with their poster as their schedule allows from 10 a.m.-noon.
- Presentation session (noon-2 p.m.): All participants are expected to be present with their display from noon-2 p.m. to
answer questions. Please reserve time in your schedule to check in and orient yourself
at the event prior to the poster session start time. Judging for the Dean's Choice
Awards will take place during this time.
- POSTERS: URSA will print all posters for free that are submitted prior to the posted submission deadline. We will print and hang the submitted posters on the boards prior to the event start. If you have a poster printed from a recent conference, you may bring your own poster on the event day. Please indicate on your registration and submission form whether you plan to bring your own poster. Poster boards will be supplied at the event. Students do not need to bring their own display board.
- ARTWORK: Students will be asked to arrive early with their artwork submission to set up on RCA Day. Please notify the URSA office of any exhibition accommodations needed to display your work.
- PERFORMANCES: Performances will be scheduled during the presentation session. If you have time conflicts during the 12-2pm presentation session, please notify the URSA staff. We will have a podium and microphone available- any additional performance accommodations will need to be communicated with the URSA team early on.
- URSA encourages students to arrive by 11:30 a.m. to check in, ensure their submission is properly displayed, and to prepare for the public session.
- Awards ceremony (3:30-5 p.m.): A closing reception with refreshments will begin at 3:30 p.m. All presenters are expected to be present for the closing award ceremony and from 4-5 p.m.
Please visit our presenter resources page for guidance on poster design, video recording and editing tools, and oral presentation resources on campus.
Posters submitted prior to the deadlines listed will be printed for free by the URSA office.
RCA Day awards will be presented at the award ceremony held at the end of the all-day event. We encourage all presenters and community members to attend.
DEANS' CHOICE AWARDS: $250
- Awarded by the Dean of each of UAF's eight colleges/schools to their top pick within their unit.
- Dean's will review and judge all projects within their unit during the two hour presentation session and will announce one Dean's Choice Award.
- The Dean's Choice Award is a monetary prize and will be sent to the recipient's student
account following the event.
- Dean's Choice Awards for group projects will be split among all members.
- Students must be registered for the spring semester to be eligible and receive a Dean's Choice Award.
HONORABLE MENTIONS: $150
- Awarded by the Dean of each of UAF's eight colleges/schools to a presentation within their unit.
- Dean's will review and judge all projects within their unit during the two hour presentation session and will announce one Honorable Mention Award.
- The Honorable Mention Award is a monetary prize and will be sent to the recipient's
student account following the event.
- Honorable Mention Awards for group projects will be split among all members.
- Students must be registered for the spring semester to be eligible and receive an Honorable Mention Award.
ATTENDANCE PRIZES: $500
- URSA will draw two names from those in attendance to receive a $500 door prize scholarship.
- Only current, registered, UAF students will be eligible to receive a door prize.
- Attendance prizes are monetary awards and will be sent to the recipient's student account following the event.
After the event:
- Participant names, project titles, posters, videos and other types of presentation submissions will be published on the URSA website.
- Posters are also archived with the UAF Elmer E. Rasmuson Library Scholarworks page.
See the URSA Research and Creative Activity Day archive for examples:
For any other questions about the event, please contact the URSA team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help!