Appeals for a late withdrawal after the student-initiated withdrawal deadline -- the ninth Friday after the first day of instruction -- are exceptions to policy and are allowed only in exceptional cases. Approval is not automatic, and you need to provide documented evidence to support your request. Acceptable serious and compelling reasons may include:

  1. death in immediate family;
  2. serious illness or injury of student or immediate family; and
  3. factors outside of student's control (for example, major employment change, fire, flood).

Failing a course, avoiding an unsatisfactory grade or ignorance of policies are not serious and compelling reason for seeking a late withdrawal and will not be approved.

Appeals for late withdrawals must be submitted within 30 class days after the beginning of the next regular semester. Forms for an appeal for late withdrawals are available online, through the Office of the Registrar in Signers' Hall at the Fairbanks campus or through local campus student services offices. Once received, the appeal will be evaluated by a campus-wide committee which will return a decision to the student. The decision of the university is final and a student who files a written appeal under these procedures shall be expected to abide by the final disposition of the review, as provided, and may not seek further appeal of the matter under any other procedure within the university.

Something to consider if you do withdraw from your classes is the impact withdrawing may have on your Financial Aid.  Learn more about the financial aid impacts of withdrawal (PDF).

Academic dismissal

Graduate students -- If recommended by the department chair, graduate advisory committee and dean of the college or school, and approved by the dean of the Graduate School, a student will be dismissed because of unsatisfactory performance. Unsatisfactory performance is deemed as one or more of the following:

  • Exceeding maximum time limit for degree.
  • Not being registered at UAF for a minimum of 6 credits per year unless on approved leave of absence.
  • Having less than a 3.0 cumulative GPA for courses taken since admission to graduate school.
  • Being on probationary status for more than two consecutive semesters.
  • Violating the Student Code of Conduct.
  • Lacking progress as judged by the advisory committee and documented on the student's annual report.
  • Having substantive inaccuracies in the original application for admission.

If the student does not have a graduate advisory committee, dismissal can occur upon the recommendation of the department chair and the dean of the college or school, with approval by dean of the Graduate School.

As with all members of the university community, the university requires students to conduct themselves honestly and responsibly, and to respect the rights of others. Conduct that unreasonably interferes with the learning environment or that violates the rights of others is prohibited by the standards and guidelines described in university regulation and UAF rules and procedures, collectively referred to as the Student Code of Conduct, or code. Students and student organizations will be responsible for ensuring that they and their guests comply with the code while on property owned or controlled by the university or at activities authorized by the university.

While the Office of Rights, Compliance and Accountability is here to support your needs as a student, our level of authority over these issues does have limitations, which is why we ask that you follow a process:

  • Speak with the instructor and try to find a solution. If that doesn’t work:
  • Talk to the Chair of the Department the class is in. If that, too, is unsuccessful:
  • Communicate the problem with the Dean of the College the class is in.

If none of those are successful, make an appointment with the Office of Rights, Compliance and Accountability, and one of our staff members will be happy to speak to you about different possible solutions.

Fill out the Student Request for Assistance form.

The Office of Rights, Compliance and Accountability will verify the situation (so if you have any supporting documents, include them on the form), then contact your instructors for you.

There are many different resources on campus that you can use. If you are worried about someone’s health or safety, the Center for Health and Counseling is a great resource. If there is an immediate need for action, you can call the University Police Department at (907)474-7721. If they disclosed a possible Title IX or Diversity and Equal Opportunity complaint to you, and you wish to report it, you can submit a report online here.