1810 Salcha Street
Photo by JR Ancheta, UAF University Relations
Built in 1931, the gymnasium was the first concrete structure on the UAF campus. In
1935, the library moved to the second floor.
On Feb. 6, 1956, nearly 1,000 people witnessed the historic signing of the proposed Alaska Constitution in the gymnasium, which is why the building was later renamed Signers’ Hall.
In the early 1960s, the library moved to the Bunnell Building and a new gymnasium was built in the Patty Center. In 1964, the museum collections were relocated from the Eielson Building to Signers’ Hall and remained there until May 1980, when the first stage of the museum’s new home opened on West Ridge.