Is it possible to withdraw from classes after the withdraw deadline has passed?

Appeals for a late withdrawal after the student-initiated withdrawal deadline -- the ninth Friday after the first day of instruction -- are exceptions to policy and are allowed only in exceptional cases. Approval is not automatic, and you need to provide documented evidence to support your request. Acceptable serious and compelling reasons may include:

  1. death in immediate family;
  2. serious illness or injury of student or immediate family; and
  3. factors outside of student's control (for example, major employment change, fire, flood).

Failing a course, avoiding an unsatisfactory grade or ignorance of policies are not serious and compelling reason for seeking a late withdrawal and will not be approved.

Appeals for late withdrawals must be submitted within 30 class days after the beginning of the next regular semester. Forms for an appeal for late withdrawals are available online, through the Office of the Registrar in Signers' Hall at the Fairbanks campus or through local campus student services offices. Once received, the appeal will be evaluated by a campus-wide committee which will return a decision to the student. The decision of the university is final and a student who files a written appeal under these procedures shall be expected to abide by the final disposition of the review, as provided, and may not seek further appeal of the matter under any other procedure within the university.

Something to consider if you do withdraw from your classes is the impact withdrawing may have on your Financial Aid.  Learn more about the financial aid impacts of withdrawal (PDF).

What is the process for a financial aid appeal?

To remain eligible for financial aid, students are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress. Undergraduate students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 67 percent of total credits attempted each year and have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 (3.00 for graduate students).

Students may appeal the suspension of aid. Appeals must be in writing and must state the reasons for failure to maintain satisfactory standards of progress, as well as the steps the student will take to meet those standards in the future. Appeals should be directed to the financial aid office, which will determine if the requirements for satisfactory academic progress will be waived. Academic progress requirements are subject to changes in federal or state law and institutional policy. A complete description is available at the financial aid office.

Students would complete the Financial Aid Appeal Form (PDF), and meet with an advisor to complete the Academic Plan Form (PDF) and submit both to Financial Aid.  Once the forms have been reviewed, if approved, the student will again be eligible for Financial Aid.  If the appeal is not approved, the student can request to appear before the Financial Aid committee for a hearing through the Financial Aid Office.

How does a UAF community member report a potentially hazardous or dangerous situation or individual?

In the event of an emergency, please call 911.

Report incidents:

Report discrimination

Report Title IX violation

Report Emergency, unsafe condition or accident

Request accommodation

Report accessibility issues

UA confidential hotline

Are there campus services available for individuals who are dealing with difficult personal situations?

The Center for Health and Counseling offers medical and counseling services to UAF students.

How does a student appeal a grade?

The University of Alaska is committed to the ideal of academic freedom and so recognizes that the assignment of grades is a faculty responsibility. Therefore, the University administration shall not influence or affect an assigned grade or the review of an assigned grade.

The grade appeal process is designed to provide a means for students to seek review of final course grades alleged to be arbitrary and capricious. Before taking formal action, a student must attempt to resolve the issue informally with the instructor of the course. A student who files a written request for review under the following procedures shall be expected to abide by the final disposition of the review, as noted at the link provided, and may not seek further review of the matter under any other procedure within the university.

The first step when considering a grade appeal is to read through the grade appeal policy.  If resolution is not possible after the student has spoken with the instructor of the course, the student should complete the grade appeal form and submit it with a letter explaining why the grade should be changed and include any relevant documentation that the committee should take into account when considering the appeal.

Academic Disqualification

Undergraduate students -- Undergraduate students on probation whose semester and cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0 for two consecutive regular (fall/spring or spring/fall) semesters will be placed on academic disqualification. Additionally, students accepted into an academic degree program on probation may be academically disqualified after one semester where the student's GPA falls below a 2.0.  Academically disqualified students may continue their enrollment at UAF only as non-degree students, are limited to 10 credits per semester and are ineligible for most types of financial aid.

To be eligible for readmission to an academic degree program, the student must:

  1. Achieve a 2.0 cumulative grade point average by repeating courses previously failed at UAF and reapply for admission, or
  2. Complete 9 credits for a baccalaureate or associate program, or 6 credits for a certificate program, with a GPA of 2.0 or higher. The courses may be completed at UAF and/or another regionally-accredited institution and must be letter-graded. Grades of P or CR will not be considered. In considering students for readmission, deans will look for coursework taken that relates to the student's intended program.

Students seeking readmission into an occupational endorsement program must have a 2.0 GPA.

Readmission to a degree program is not automatic or guaranteed. The student must reapply and the application must be approved by the dean. The student may apply to the same program from which they were disqualified, or to a different program or level (e.g. baccalaureate, associate or certificate). Readmission may be granted with a status of probation or with other conditions as specified by the dean. It is vitally important for academically disqualified students to work closely with their academic advisor in developing a realistic and timely educational plan.

I have been academically disqualified or dismissed. What does that mean and how does that affect my education at UAF?

Academic Dismissal

Graduate students -- If recommended by the department chair, graduate advisory committee and dean of the college or school, and approved by the dean of the Graduate School, a student will be dismissed because of unsatisfactory performance. Unsatisfactory performance is deemed as one or more of the following:

  1. Exceeding maximum time limit for degree.
  2. Not being registered at UAF for a minimum of 6 credits per year unless on approved leave of absence.
  3. Having less than a 3.0 cumulative GPA for courses taken since admission to graduate school.
  4. Being on probationary status for more than two consecutive semesters.
  5. Violating the Student Code of Conduct.
  6. Lacking progress as judged by the advisory committee and documented on the student's annual report.
  7. Having substantive inaccuracies in the original application for admission.

If the student does not have a graduate advisory committee, dismissal can occur upon the recommendation of the department chair and the dean of the college or school, with approval by dean of the Graduate School.

What is the student code of conduct, and what happens if a student violates the code of conduct?

As with all members of the university community, the university requires students to conduct themselves honestly and responsibly, and to respect the rights of others. Conduct that unreasonably interferes with the learning environment or that violates the rights of others is prohibited by the standards and guidelines described in university regulation and UAF rules and procedures, collectively referred to as the Student Code of Conduct, or code. Students and student organizations will be responsible for ensuring that they and their guests comply with the code while on property owned or controlled by the university or at activities authorized by the university.

I’m having problems with my instructor. Can the Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities office help?

While the Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities is here to support your needs as a student, our level of authority over these issues does have limitations, which is why we ask that you follow a process:

  • Speak with the instructor and try to find a solution. If that doesn’t work:
  • Talk to the Chair of the Department the class is in. If that, too, is unsuccessful:
  • Communicate the problem with the Dean of the College the class is in.

If none of those are successful, make an appointment with the Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities, and one of our staff members will be happy to speak to you about different possible solutions.

I have a personal emergency and need to miss some classes. What do I do?

Fill out the Student Request for Assistance form.

The Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities will verify the situation (so if you have any supporting documents, include them on the form), then contact your instructors for you.

I’m concerned about a student/friend/roommate/etc. What should I do?

There are many different resources on campus that you can use. If you are worried about someone’s health or safety, the Center for Health and Counseling is a great resource. If there is an immediate need for action, you can call the University Police Department at (907)474-7721. If they disclosed a possible Title IX or Diversity and Equal Opportunity complaint to you, and you wish to report it, you can submit a report online here.

Back to Top