How to Give
Thank you for considering a gift to the College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
Two Decisions to Make About Giving
How do you want your gift to be used by the University, and what form will your gift take? By making those two decisions you can be sure that your gift is not only made in the way that best suits your financial situation but also that it will accomplish your intention to benefit the University of Alaska. Contact UAF Development and Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-474-2619 for help in determining where and how to invest your gift.
Types of Gifts
1. Unrestricted Gift
The broadest and most useful kind of gift is an unrestricted gift to the University. This means that the University will decide how your gift should best be used to support the University. To make this kind of gift you need only write the word "unrestricted" on the memo line of your check or on the online form used for making your gift.
2. Restricted Gift
You may restrict your gift in several different ways. To place a restriction, you need only indicate the restriction on the memo line of your gift check or on the online form used for making your gift. When your gift is received, it will be placed into a fund that matches the purpose restriction you have indicated. Some of the more popular ways to target your gift are
- To support a specific program or campus of the University (e.g., "the College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences at UAF" or "the Fairbanks Campus").
- To support a specific broad use (e.g., "to provide student scholarships" or "to support faculty research").
- To support an existing fund (e.g., "to support the National Ocean Sciences Bowl regional competition"). The Foundation manages more than 600 existing funds which have been previously established to benefit specific portions of the institution or for specific purposes. Your gift can be added to such a fund and used for the purposes for which that fund was established. To see a list of existing funds, please contact UAF Development and Alumni Relations, who can tell you which funds fit the purpose or portion of the University you wish to benefit from your gift.
- To establish a new fund. If you wish to have your name or someone else's name on a fund (e.g., the Chester Buckholtz Scholarship) or establish a fund for a very specific purpose (e.g., to provide internships for students in Fisheries) for which the Foundation does not already maintain a fund, you may establish a new fund at the Foundation.
Options for new funds include the following. Please note that many options have minimum gift amounts.
- Scholarships or student awards
- Visiting professorships
- Named program funds
- Centers and institutes
- Named colleges or schools
Below are some of the most popular ways to give:
- Cash gifts
- Life insurance
- Charitable remainder trust
- Charitable gift annuities
- Personal property
- Real property
- Stocks and mutual funds
- Trusts, life estates, and bequests
We welcome and appreciate your support! For more information on all aspects of giving, contact UAF Development and Alumni Relations.