Faculty & Staff
Welcome! In whatever capacity you work at UAF, we’re glad you’re here. Whether you are looking for a reliable resource to point your students toward, or wanting to explore our services personally, Career Services is for you. Our goal is to help you and your students strategize to move forward in your professional life.
UAF Career Services welcomes any opportunity to partner with faculty and staff on career-related presentations, workshops, and events.
If you have any ideas or questions about working with us, we'd love to chat. Give us a call at (907) 474-7596, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or come on over to Eielson 302I!
Career Services offer presentations on a variety of career related topics. See a few examples below:
- Resume Tips & Tricks
- Job Search 411
- Curriculum Vitae 101
- Adventure Time: Student Job Edition
We are open to new ideas and new topics. Let us know what you are interested in seeing/hearing and we will see what we can do.
Email: email@example.com to schedule
If you're interested in using our services as a part of your course or student organization, please contact us at least two weeks in advance from the planned date of your event.
Career Services offers many opportunities for faculty, staff, and community professional development. Check out our events page to see what current workshops are available! Additionally, Career Services offers 2 assessments which provide personal and professional insight on your personality, clarify interests, and allow for the opportunity for team growth and change.
Strong Interest Inventory
This assessment looks at the individual's motivations, clarifies interests, culture fit, and provides a direction for individuals to explore careers. Built on psychologist John Holland’s theory, it’s backed by more than 80 years of research into how people of similar interests are employed, and what motivates individuals in the workplace.
This assessment is great if you:
- Are interested in changing career fields but do not know where to begin
- Want to find a career that compliments your learning, working, and leadership style
- Want to gain a deeper self-awareness about your strengths
Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
With more than 70 years of science-based, research-based insight, it is no wonder that the MBTI assessment is used by more than 88 percent of Fortune 500 companies.
- The MBTI helps you identify your unique preferences and gifts.
- You will gain insight into how you direct and receive energy, take in information, decide and come to conclusions, and approach the outside world.
- The insight you gain into yourself will allow you to better understand and value individual differences.
Career Services is your one stop career shop. Whether you are interested in finding an internship or job, exploring career options, needing your resume reviewed or changing careers, let Career Services help you reach your goals. Join us for the Fall Job & Internship Fair on September 18, 2019 from 4:00-7:00 in the Wood Center Ballroom! For more information visit www.uaf.edu/career.
Faculty and staff are encouraged to take advantage of one-on-one career coaching appointments.
- Major/Career Exploration
- Resume and/or Cover Letter or CV Consultation
- Mock/Practice Interview
(If you have a need that is not listed above, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to help in whatever way we can).
Resume Renovation with the UAF Writing Center
CV Writing Workshop with Biomedical Learning and Student Training (BLaST)
Resume Workshop with Biomedical Learning and Student Training (BLaST)
Individual resume and cover letter editing sessions for every student in a HLTH F110 course (Professional Skills for the Workplace)
FAQs from Faculty & Staff
We can be reached the following ways:
- Email (email@example.com)
- Phone (907-474-7596)
- Facebook (UAF Career Services)
- In person in Eielson 302I
Whichever way you choose, we're excited to meet you!
Our normal office hours are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and you can find us on the 3rd floor of the Eielson, room 302I.
Our goal is to serve students' career-related needs. We offer a variety of free services for students and host career-related events throughout the school year. Our most requested services include:
- Resume and cover letter editing (offered as individual sessions and workshops)
- Major/career exploration (Strong Interest Inventory and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment)
- Mock interview sessions
See the complete list of our services on our Students page.
When we receive job opportunities from employers, we share it with the UAF community in a variety of ways. Job opportunities can be found in the following places:
- On our Facebook page as a post.
- On our job board which can be found in the entryway facing the UAF Bookstore on the 3rd floor of Gruening.
- Emails--we share job opportunities with the most applicable departments/programs, which usually maintain their own kind of newsletter or job board. Make sure students check their emails!
If you or a student are seeking a job in a specific area, let us know and we'll help you find what you're looking for.
Faculty and staff are welcome to attend all of our events, and we'd love to support your students and organization with our services! For a schedule of our events, please see our Events Website.
Having connections with different departments and organizations helps us achieve our goal of serving students' career-related needs, so please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, feedback or comments!
We'd love the opportunity to share our knowledge with students. By integrating our services with your course or student organization, we can help them in these ways:
- Prepare for a job fair/hiring event
- Become familiar with the job search process
- Create and maintain current job application materials
- Expand on a topic taught in your course
Most of our services can be transformed into presentations and workshops, and we're happy to tailor it to your specific needs. Here are some examples from the past:
- Resume 101 Presentation with the Great Alaskan Accounting People (GAAP)
- CV Writing Workshop with Biomedical Learning and Student Training (BLaST)
- Individual resume and cover letter editing sessions for every student in a HLTH F110 course (Professional Skills for the Workplace)
UAF Career Services is applicable no matter what kind of course you teach or what your student organization focuses on, because students can never be too prepared for a job opportunity.
- Nearly every employer requests a resume. It is best to have an updated version, or at least know how to create one.
- With how often we receive vacancy announcements from employers, an amazing job or internship might come along with a short time frame for applications. It is in everyone's best interest to maintain an updated resume, as well as ideas for cover letters.
- It is never too early to begin preparing for a career after college. The sooner students become familiar with the job search process and career application materials, the smoother the transition can be after graduating.
- Dedicating time to learn about the job search process and career application materials is the same as making an investment in your future; students have nothing to lose.
- Plenty of students work while they're still in school, and we can help with that too.