Faculty and staff
In whatever capacity you work at UAF, we’re glad you’re here. Whether you are looking for a reliable resource to point your students toward or wanting to explore our services personally, Career Services is for you. Our goal is to help you and your students strategize to move forward in your professional lives.
What we can do for you
UAF Career Services welcomes any opportunity to partner with faculty and staff on career-related presentations, workshops and events.
If you have ideas or questions about working with us, we'd love to chat. Give us a call at 907-474-7596, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at 304 Eielson Building.
Career Services offers presentations on a variety of career related topics. See a few examples below:
- Resume Tips & Tricks
- Job Search 411
- Curriculum Vitae 101
- Adventure Time: Student Job Edition
We are open to new ideas and new topics. Let us know what you are interested in seeing/hearing and we will see what we can do.
If you're interested in using our services as a part of your course or student organization, please contact us at least two weeks in advance from the planned date of your event.
This assessment looks at the individual's motivations, clarifies interests, analyzes culture fit and provides a direction to explore careers. Built on psychologist John Holland’s theory, it’s backed by more than 80 years of research into how people of similar interests are employed and what motivates individuals in the workplace.
This assessment is great if you:
- Are interested in changing career fields but do not know where to begin.
- Want to find a career that complements your learning, working and leadership style.
- Want to gain a deeper self-awareness about your strengths.
Registration and payment
- Staff/Faculty: $25.00
- Community Members: $30.00
To set up an individual consultation or workshop please email email@example.com and a payment link will be sent to you. Upon payment, you will receive a personalized online link to a site where you can take the assessment.
With more than 70 years of research-based insight, it is no wonder that the MBTI assessment is used by more than 88 percent of Fortune 500 companies.
- The MBTI helps you identify your unique preferences and gifts.
- You will gain insight into how you direct and receive energy, take in information, decide and come to conclusions, and approach the outside world.
- The insight you gain into yourself will allow you to better understand and value individual differences.
Registration and payment
- Staff/Faculty: $45.00
- Community Members: $50.00
- 2- 10 people
$100.00 plus $40.00 a person for assessment and materials
- 11-20 people
$250.00 plus $40.00 a person for assessment and materials
- 20 + please email for pricing
To set up an individual consultation or workshop please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a payment link will be sent to you. Upon payment, you will receive a personalized
online link to a site where you can take the assessment.
Standard workshop (3 hours)
We will guide you through a thorough discussion of your assessment results, helping you to gain a better understanding of your best-fit type. Through interactive activities you will gain greater insight into the meaning of your preference: How you handle stress, work on teams etc. When you understand your type preferences, you can approach your own work in a manner that best suits your style and understand how the different type preferences present in your team are each useful and valuable. Each participant will receive a book that delves further into type and allows for deeper understanding and use of this tool.
Faculty and staff are encouraged to take advantage of one-on-one career advising appointments.
- Major/career exploration
- Resume and/or cover letter or CV consultation
- Mock/practice interview
(If you have a need that is not listed above, email email@example.com and we will do our best to help in whatever way we can).
- Resume 101 with the Great Alaskan Accounting People (GAAP) in preparation for Accounting Recruitment Week
- Resume renovation with the UAF Writing Center
- CV writing workshop with Biomedical Learning and Student Training
- Resume workshop with Biomedical Learning and Student Training
- Career fair readiness workshop with the UAF Writing Center and the UAF Speaking Center
- Individual resume and cover letter-editing sessions for every student in a HLTH F110 course (Professional Skills for the Workplace)
- Student Employee Appreciation Month video with the UAF eCampus media production design team
We can be reached the following ways:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 907-474-7596
- Instagram: UAF Career Services
- In person: 304 Eielson Building
Whichever way you choose, we're excited to meet you!
Our normal office hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and you can find us on the third floor of the Eielson Building, room 304.
Our goal is to serve students' career-related needs. We offer a variety of free services for students and host career-related events throughout the school year. Our most requested services include:
- Resume and cover letter editing (offered as individual sessions and workshops)
- Major/career exploration (Strong Interest Inventory and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator assessment)
- Mock interview sessions
See the complete list of our services on our students page.
When we receive job opportunities from employers, we share it with the UAF community in a variety of ways. Job opportunities can be found in the following places:
- On our Instagram page as a post.
- On our job board, which can be found in the entryway facing the UAF Bookstore on the third floor of Gruening.
- Emails — we share job opportunities with the most applicable departments/programs, which usually maintain their own newsletters or job boards. Make sure students check their emails!
If you or a student are seeking a job in a specific area, let us know and we'll help you find what you're looking for.
Faculty and staff are welcome to attend all of our events, and we'd love to support your students and organization with our services! For a schedule of Career Services events, please see our events page.
Having connections with different departments and organizations helps us achieve our goal of serving students' career-related needs, so please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, feedback or comments!
We'd love the opportunity to share our knowledge with students. By integrating our services with your course or student organization, we can help them in these ways:
- Prepare for a job fair/hiring event.
- Become familiar with the job search process.
- Create and maintain current job application materials.
- Expand on a topic taught in your course.
Most of our services can be transformed into presentations and workshops, and we're happy to tailor them to your specific needs. See some examples from the past.
UAF Career Services is beneficial, no matter what kind of course you teach or what your student organization focuses on, because students can never be too prepared for a job opportunity.
- Nearly every employer requests a resume. It is best to have an updated version or at least know how to create one.
- Given how often we receive vacancy announcements from employers, an amazing job or internship might come along with a short time frame for applications. It is in everyone's best interest to maintain an updated resume, as well as ideas for cover letters.
- It is never too early to begin preparing for a career after college. The sooner students become familiar with the job search process and career application materials, the smoother the transition can be after graduating.
- Dedicating time to learn about the job search process and career application materials is the same as making an investment in your future; students have nothing to lose.
- Plenty of students work while they're still in school, and we can help with that too.