International Volcanology Field School
UAF’s Department of Geosciences offers a two-week field class in volcanology in cooperation with the Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (IVS) and Kamchatka Branch of Geophysical Survey (KBGS) in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia. The course is offered every summer both in Katmai National Park, Alaska, site of the largest eruption on Earth of the 20th century and on one of active volcanoes of Kamchatka, e.g. Mutnovsky and Gorely, Tolbachik, and Karymsky. Students explore and discuss the full range of phenomena that constitutes volcanoes, using some of the best examples in the world. The course is co-taught at both the undergraduate and graduate level by Pavel Izbekov of UAF, with assistance by Taryn Lopez for larger classes, as well as by guest scientists from Russia, the US, and Japan. Students come from across the US, Russia, Europe, Japan and occasionally from other countries.
Unfortunately, due to the developing COVID-19 situation the 2020 field trips to Katmai and Kamchatka have been postponed until Summer 2021. The updated information for the 2021 field trips will be posted in the Fall 2020. Thank you for your understanding!
Field trip to the Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes, Katmai National Park, Alaska
• Summer 2020 Information (PDF)
• GEOS 424/624 Course Description-Katmai (PDF)
• GEOS 424 Syllabus-Katmai (PDF)
• GEOS 624 Syllabus-Katmai (PDF)
• GEOS 424/624 Course Description-Kamchatka (PDF)
• GEOS 424 Syllabus-Kamchatka (PDF)
• GEOS 624 Syllabus-Kamchatka (PDF)
Field trip to Mutnovsky and Gorely Volcanoes, Kamchatka
NOTES ON FIELD SCHOOL COSTS AND REGISTRATION
- Applications for the field trips will be reviewed promptly. Students will be notified about their acceptance within a week after their applications are received.
- Accepted students will be authorized to register for Katmai and Kamchatka trips through UAF Summer Sessions website. Since travel arrangements require significant financial commitments from organizers, we request a non-refundable deposit of $250 to reserve a space at the time of registration. The remaining portion of the payment should be received by Summer Sessions no later than 2 weeks before the trip.
- Estimated costs of the Katmai trip are $3189 and $3951, for 424 and 624 levels correspondingly. This includes UAF tuition and fees, non-refundable deposit, transportation from Anchorage to Katmai National Park, lodging, insurance, and most food during the field trip. Students are responsible for arranging their travel so as to arrive in Anchorage on June 6 and depart Anchorage for home on June 19.
- Estimated costs of the Kamchatka trip are $2121 and $2883, for 424 and 624 levels correspondingly. This includes UAF tuition and fees, non-refundable deposit, transportation while in Kamchatka, lodging, insurance, and most food during the field trip. Students are responsible for arranging their travel so as to arrive in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia on August 10 and depart Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky for home on August 24.