Department of Petroleum Engineering
- experimental and theoretical investigation into propped fracture conductivity in low and high permeability environments
- heavy oil reservoirs (production, completion and stimulation related challenges)
- data analysis using statistical and virtual intelligence techniques
- the incorporation of uncertainty into the models used by petroleum engineers to predict oil and gas well productivity using time series analysis methods.
- application of Monte Carlo techniques and stochastic differential equations to modeling uncertainty in petroleum production or reservoir engineering
Yin Zhang is an assistant professor of petroleum engineering at the College of Engineering and Mines. He received his B.Sc. degree and M.A.Sc. degree in Petroleum Engineering at the China University of Petroleum in 2007 and 2010, respectively; and then he got his PhD degree from Petroleum Systems Engineering in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Regina. Previously, his research mainly focused on assisted history matching, determination of petrophysical properties, uncertainty quantification, CO2 EOR and storage, oilfield corrosion prevention.
Professor Emeritus, Petroleum Engineering
Shirish Patil is Professor Emeritus in petroleum engineering at the College of Engineering and Mines. Shirish joined the University of Alaska Fairbanks in 1987. Shirish has served the University of Alaska Fairbanks, the Society of Petroleum Engineers, American Society of Drilling Engineers, the State of Alaska, and the Fairbanks community in numerous capacities:
- Petroleum engineering chair (2006-08)
- Director of PDL (2006-Present)
- UAF Faculty Senate President (2006-07)
- UA Faculty Alliance Chair (2006-07)
- SPE Faculty Advisor (1996-2004)
- AADE Faculty Advisor (2012- Present)
- SPE International Distinguished Lecturer Selection Committee, 2005-09.
- SPE Education, Training and Professionalism Program Subcommittee, 2007
- State of Alaska Representative- Interstate Oil & Gas Compact Commission- Research and Technology Committee (2006-Present)
- SPE Education and Accreditation (EAC) Committee (2004-2007)
- SPE International Membership Committee (2011-Present)
- Fairbanks North Star Borough- Public Transportation Advisory Commission Chair (2005-Present)
Shirish has over 25 year's research experience in the areas of Gas Hydrates, PVT/phase behavior, miscible/immiscible displacement, and GTL transportation studies. He has managed/co-managed several U.S. Department of Energy and other projects with international oil companies. He has been PI or Co-PI of over 20 successfully completed projects and has authored or co-authored over 75 technical papers.