Canvas as a learning management system (LMS)
UAF is currently adopting the learning management system (LMS) Canvas. Over the next few semesters, more and more of your UAF courses will use Canvas instead of Blackboard.
How do I know if my instructor is using Canvas?
You can check the delivery method of your courses by looking at the “location” column within your Concise Student Schedule at UAOnline. Once logged in:
- Choose “Student Services and Account Information”
- Click “Registration”
- Under Post-Registration, choose “Concise Student Schedule”
If you have any further questions, contact your instructor.
Why is UAF using Canvas?
- Canvas supports the Chancellor's strategic goal to modernize the student experience.
- Its mobile app makes it possible for students to do the majority of classwork from the palm of their hand.
- It's more accessible for diverse learners.
- It has lighter bandwidth requirements, making it more available in rural areas (⅓ less than Blackboard).
- Many students are already familiar with the Canvas interface. The State of Alaska Department of Early Education and Development recently selected Canvas as the LMS for Alaska's K-12 schools.
What does this mean for students?
For the next few semesters, you may have courses on Blackboard and Canvas. For now, all of your courses, even if they are in Canvas, will be accessible via Blackboard.