The University of Alaska Board of Regents approved UAF's latest mission statement at its June 8, 2012 meeting. The following statement is now contained in UA Board of Regents Policy 01.01.030:
The University of Alaska Fairbanks is a Land, Sea, and Space Grant university and an international center for research, education, and the arts, emphasizing the circumpolar North and its diverse peoples. UAF integrates teaching, research, and public service as it educates students for active citizenship and prepares them for lifelong learning and careers.
Excellence through transformative experiences
The University of Alaska Fairbanks is renowned for its Arctic research, Alaska Native and Indigenous programs, entrepreneurship, workforce development, and hands-on, personalized learning. UAF provides a world-class, inclusive experience — energized by innovative research, community engagement, student-centered teaching and creative expression.
UAF's core themes
- Educate: Undergraduate and Graduate Students and Lifelong Learners
- Research: To Create and Disseminate New Knowledge, Insight, Technology, Artistic and Scholarly Works
- Prepare: Alaska's Career, Technical, and Professional Workforce
- Connect: Alaska Native, Rural, and Urban Communities by Sharing Knowledge and Ways of Knowing
- Engage: Alaskans through Outreach for Continuing Education and Community and Economic Development
UAF's key messages
- We are Alaska's research university and America's arctic university.
- UAF is a national and world leader in climate change and arctic research.
- UAF researchers are world-renowned in their fields, and the work they do is important and notable.
- UAF maintains many partnerships and collaborations throughout Alaska and the world that drive innovation and create meaningful discoveries.
- UAF's research helps sustain Alaska's economic growth and enhance Alaska communities.
- We deliver a high-quality education at an affordable price.
- We are Alaska's only Land, Sea and Space Grant university, offering everything from workforce development and vocational programs to master's degrees and PhDs.
- At UAF, students find a wide variety of academic programs to inspire them.
- An education at UAF provides a hands-on learning experience in the vast dynamic laboratory that is Alaska.
- Students at the Fairbanks campus have a traditional college experience, including a robust campus life, opportunities for research and creative work, small class sizes and accessible instructors.
- Community campuses and outreach and learning centers throughout Alaska provide enriching education and programs that reflect the cultural, social and economic values of the communities they serve.
- We enrich the lives of Alaskans and engage our communities, state, nation and world
through our teaching, research and service work.
- UAF is a catalyst for innovation and economic development for communities and the state.
- UAF is a good investment for our partners, donors and funding agencies.
- UAF is an asset to Alaska, the nation and the world, making our communities a better place to live.
- Our location defines us and provides transformational experiences, from the personal
to the global.
- The Alaska lifestyle is woven into the UAF experience.
- At UAF, our location offers the opportunity for global significance, just outside the front door.
- In work and play, we embrace our unique lifestyle and inspiring surroundings.
- Our arctic location defines our research.
- We are a welcoming and supportive community.
- Your success matters to us. We will help you find what you need to succeed here, as a student or a professional.
- At UAF, everyone fits in: We are diverse, attracting people of all ages and backgrounds and from around the world.
- UAF alumni have great affinity and fondness for their university, and show it through their donations, volunteerism and support.
- UAF is a family. Once a Nanook, always a Nanook.
- UAF continues to be strong despite our budget challenges.