State Laws and Regulations

Alaska Statutes (Laws)

Current Alaska Statutes plus links to previous years are here. You will be leaving this website so a new browser window will open.

Title 16 covers Fish and Game:

AS 16.05.790. Obstruction or Hindrance of Lawful Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, or Viewing of Fish or Game. This statute protects the rights of researchers holding valid permits as well as the legal take of fish and game for subsistence or sport. 

Other Statutes Related to Research or the Care and Use of Animals

AS 11.61.140. Cruelty to Animals (Class A misdemeanor)AS 11.61.145. Promoting an exhibition of fighting animals (Class B misdemeanor or a Class C felony)AS 14.40.453 Confidentiality of Research: All UAF compliance committee forms consist of intellectual property and may contain proprietary information. Therefore, applications are maintained as confidential documents under this statute. However, if questioned, the University is expected to "... make available the title and a description of all research projects, the name of the researcher, and the amount and source of funding...". No information will be released prior to communication with the researcher(s).

Alaska Administrative Code (Regulations)

Alaska Administrative Code (AAC) related to the management of State fish and game resources is found in 5 AAC:

  • Commercial and Subsistence Fishing and Private Nonprofit Salmon Hatcheries (5 AAC 1-41).
  • Sport Fishing and Personal Use Fishery (5 AAC 42-77)
  • Game (5 AAC 78-92)
  • Department Programs (5 AAC 93)
  • Protection of Fish and Game Habitat (5 AAC 95)
  • Fish and Game Advisory Committees (5 AAC 96-98)
  • Subsistence Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping (5 AAC 99)

Authority for ADF&G to issue permits for research and teaching activities is provided for under 5 AAC 92.033 Permit for scientific, educational, propagative, or public safety purposes. The full text of section 92.033 can be found here.

5 AAC 92.029(a) states that "Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, or in AS 16, no person may possess, import, release, export, or assist in importing, releasing, or exporting, live game, unless the person holds a possession permit issued by the department."

Note: Scientific or Education Collecting permits do not grant access rights to Federal or privately held property. It is the permit holder's responsibility to obtain all necessary land use permits or permissions.

Permitting Agencies, Alaska Department of Fish & Game

Wildlife Conservation, Permits Section. Note: Wildlife Conservation is in the process of updating their Scientific or Educational permit applications. Applications will be posted on the permits page as they become available. Application forms that are not currently available online may be acquired from the contacts listed below:

Scientific or Educational Permit Application & Policy (currently being revision) - Use this application to apply for authorization to take, possess, hold alive, band or tag, import into or export from Alaska, birds or their eggs, mammals or their fur (except historically domesticated mammals, birds and eggs), and reptiles for scientific or educational purposes. Note: You must attach a copy of your study plan or research proposal and a copy of the IACUC approval to your application.

Contact:  Alaska Department of Fish & Game, Division of Wildlife Conservation, P.O. Box 115526, Juneau, AK 99811-5526.  Phone: (907) 465-4190.  Fax: (907) 465-6142.  Email:

Application forms are also available at Division of Wildlife Conservation offices statewide.

Reporting Requirements:  Annual Reports on activities covered by a Scientific Permit are due by January 31st of the following year (Ex: Annual reports for permits issued in 2007 are due by January 31, 2008.). ADF&G has made a template Annual Report Form (excel file for download) available on their website.

Sport Fish & Commercial Fisheries, Fish Resource Policy is a 15-page policy that answers many of the questions people have about Fish Resource Permits (FRP). It explains the types of FRPs that are available, the uniform application procedures, permit conditions, reporting requirements, and restrictions. The Scientific and Educational Permit applications are available online; the most commonly used forms are the Fish Resource Permit (For Scientific/Educational Purposes) , Aquaria Attachment, and the Transport Permit (Fish, Shellfish & Eggs). These applications should be used for all species of fish and frogs in Alaska. Note: Allow at least 45 days for review of your application.

Contact:  Scott Ayers, Fish Resource Permit Program Coordinator, Anchorage, 907-267-2517 (phone) or (email)

Reporting Requirements: The Sport & Commercial Fisheries Divisions require two reports for activities conducted under an FRP:

 A collection report is required and must be submitted within 30 days of the expiration date of the permit, unless an earlier date is specified. The report must include: numbers of each species collected, date and place taken, disposition of the specimens, and, if applicable, sex, life stage, age, lengths and weights of fish, or any other information required in the permit.

A completion report containing the results and findings of any data analysis for the project, if not submitted in the collection report, must be be submitted to the department within six months of the expiration of the permit. Data from completion reports are considered public information.

Note:  The commissioner will not re-issue a permit to the permit holder or agency until required reports are submitted.

State of Alaska Veterinarian

Import permits, if required, must be obtained from the Office of the State Veterinarian prior to bring live animals, animal parts or tissues into Alaska. The Office of the State Veterinarian can also assist you with permitting requirements to ship live animals, animal parts or tissues to another state.

Health Certificates are required for air transport of live animals and must be issued by a veterinarian licensed to practice in the state and filed with the Office of the State Veterinarian prior to shipment. If you need a health certificate to ship research animals contact the UAF Animal Resource Center for assistance (474-7020).