Student Forms


    Please read carefully to avoid processing delays:

  • Download the form you need (this is important because otherwise some fields won’t print correctly)

  • Fill it out electronically | Handwritten forms are no longer accepted.

  • Print it out.

  • Unless the form explicitly states that specific signatures are not required for your program, you must obtain signatures from all of the following:
    • your advisory committee
    • your department chair
    • your school/college dean

  • Once you have completed the form and obtained all of the required signatures, please retain a copy for your records then choose an option below:
    • Mail the form to: PO Box 757560 Fairbanks, AK 99775-7560
    • Scan and email the form to:
    • Hand deliver the form to: 202 Eielson Building


  • Appoint/Change Committee Form
    Due by the end of your FIRST semester AND anytime your committee members change.
    (NOTE: Resigning members must also sign this form; if the department chair is signing on the resigning member's behalf or is exercising their right to remove a member, a justification for doing so must be noted somewhere on the form.)
  • Graduate Study Plan
    Due by the end of your SECOND semester.   Courses on this form should match your degree requirements in your entry catalog.   If substitutions are planned, please indicate as much by adding "subbed for core requirement," "subbed for x-and-such course," etc.
    (Need more space? Download the Graduate Study Plan - Supplement )
  • Graduate Reinstatement
    Required for those who wish to resume their studies but who have fallen out of status with regard to the registration requirements in the "How to Earn a Graduate Degree" section of the UAF catalog (NOTE: Reinstatement requires that it has been less than 2 years since your last enrollment in a 400- or 600-level course at UAF. If it has been more than 2 years since your last enrollment, you will have to reapply for admission.)
  • Temporary Leave of Absence Request
    Required if you need to temporarily suspend studies while earning a graduate degree. If you do not meet registration requirements and fail to obtain a leave of absence, you will be dropped from graduate study and will have to be reinstated before resuming your program.
  • Project Defense Report
    Required for students who are completing a project instead of a thesis or dissertation.
  • Thesis/Dissertation Defense Report
    Required for all students who are completing a thesis or dissertation.   If your defense is combined with your comprehensive exam, you must submit this form AND the Report on Comprehensive Exam.
  • Request an Outside Examiner
    Mandatory for all Ph.D. oral comprehensive exams (Except qualifying exams) and Ph.D. dissertations defenses. 
    Requests must be submitted to the Graduate School at least 10 working days prior to the exam (15 days if scheduled during the summer break). 
  • Project Approval Form 
    Required for all project students: This form is used to signify committee and department chair approval of the final draft of your project.
    This form certifies that the post-defense copy (a.k.a. final copy) of your project is of reasonably publishable quality and is ready for archiving with the library. This form is to be signed by your Committee and Department Chair AFTER you've passed your defense.
  • Thesis/Dissertation Approval Form
    Required for all thesis/dissertation students: This form is used to signify committee, department chair and dean approval of the final draft of your thesis or dissertation.  This document is required and is in lieu of (or in addition to) "signature pages". 
    NOTE: Some schools still require the signature page as well as their form; consult with your department fo find out whether this applies to you.
    This form certifies that the post-defense copy (a.k.a. final copy) of your thesis/dissertation is of reasonably publishable quality and is ready for publication/archiving. This form is to be signed by your Committee and Department Chair, and dean AFTER you have passed your defense and made any changes required at each level.
  • Interdisciplinary Degree Title Form
    For those who are pursuing a Interdisciplinary Master's or PhD. This form formally establishes the title of your program and will be printed on your transcripts and diploma.
  • Graduate Student Employee Workload Exception Request
    Submission of this form is required for Graduate Student Research Assistants or Teaching Assistants who are requesting a waiver to the Board of Regents policy that prohibits working in excess of 20 hours per week or 40 hours per pay period. This form must be completed and signed by all requested parties before any exceptions will be considered. IMPORTANT NOTE: Foreign nationals on temporary student visas (F-1 or J-1) are not permitted to work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session and, therefore, are not eligible for a workload waiver.