Insurance Coverage & Claims

The University of Alaska is self-insured for major types of coverage (auto, liability, property, workers’ compensation, etc.) through a pool of funds maintained by the System Office of Risk Services.  Throughout the year, claims are paid from the risk pool, which is replenished annually by assessments to each MAU based on various exposure bases (property values, number of employees and vehicles, etc.) and claims history.  
For a list of covered and excluded items, click here.

Submit the following documents to the Risk Manager:

Once received, the RM will review for insurance needs based on the agreement and route to SW Risk Services for processing and issuance of the COI.

Student accident insurance coverage is available, upon request, to University of Alaska students by direct application to our insurance carrier for this type of coverage.

Coverage is only available for University of Alaska programs that are:

  • University scheduled;
  • University sponsored; and
  • University supervised (by UA staff member)

For activities outside of this description see Event Insurance tab.

For claims, fill out the Student Accident Claim Form. It is recommended that you fax related claims documents directly to the carrier rather than mail, as claims MUST be submitted within 20 days of the accident

For events using UA facilities:

Typically, outside entities utilizing UA facilities are required to carry insurance covering that use whereas affiliated entities using UA facilities are covered by the University's self-insurance or student accident insurance. If your group doesn't already carry liability insurance, this coverage can be purchased, at cost to the user, through the University. 

Click here for additional information and purchasing instructions.

Click here for Sports Camps insurance.

If you are not sure which type of insurance is necessary for your event or activity, consult with the Risk Manager. 

There are additional insurance requirements for events involving minors. Please consult the Protection of Minors Program page for more information.

Workers’ Compensation is a state-mandated program that provides benefits to employees who suffer injuries or occupational disease in the course and scope of employment.

The University of Alaska is self-insured for Workers’ Compensation benefits and claims are handled in-house by System Office of Risk Services claims adjusters in accordance with Title 23 of the Alaska Statutes and Title 8 in the Alaska Administrative Code.

For a certificate of our worker's compensation self-insured status for disbursement of display, click here.

To begin the claims process or report an unsafe condition, click here.