International Travel

International travel requires approval delegation from the Chancellor. The following is required for international travel requests.

  1. Review guidance and legal requirements from the Centers for Disease Control and the US Department of State for travel restrictions, testing requirements and other information on the current state of the pandemic in any destination you will be traveling to. 
  2. Start planning early (3-4 weeks in advance of travel) by discussing the trip details and location with your supervisor and the principal investigator (PI), if applicable.
    • Please allow adequate time to develop safety plans and obtain approvals at each level
    • International travel requires approval by the Vice Chancellor
    • Departments may have additional approval requirements
  3. Work with your department to develop an international travel safety plan for Level 3: Reconsider Travel and Level 4: Do Not Travel destinations. Contact Becca Whitman, Risk Manager at Environmental Health Safety & Risk Management (EHSRM), if you have questions or need assistance. 
    • Destinations with an advisory Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions and Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution do NOT require a international safety plan or EHSRM approval (move on to step 4)
    • Secure EHSRM approval for destinations with an advisory Level 3: Reconsider Travel and Level 4: Do Not Travel. EHSRM asks that requests for approval be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to travel to allow time to address any questions, insurance, etc.
    • Submit approval requests through DocuSign or via Email to Becca Whitman, Risk Manager
  4. Work with your department to develop and submit a Remote Travel/Field Safety Plan (if applicable).  Please review the remote travel safety guide for additional information. Travel planning can occur simultaneously with this step.
  5. Create a Concur Travel Request
  6. Once approved, book through Concur Travel (or pull a comparison from the booking tool), you can also work with our office or Corporate Travel Management (CTM) to secure reservations.

Federally funded travel to and from international destinations requires compliance with the Fly America Act. UAF supports the Fly America Act by requiring all travelers using federal funding to fly on an American air carrier into and out of the US regardless of cost and/or travel times.

Our travel processes are designed to aid travelers in complying with university and federal requirements on international travel:

  1. The Concur Travel booking tool provides a gray shield with check-mark icon to indicate a flight is Fly America compliant
  2. UA's travel agents at Corporate Travel Management (CTM) are knowledgeable on Fly America requirements and will ensure your flights are compliant if you contact them directly to book airfare
  3. The TCSO staff is familiar with Fly America and utilizing the tools available through Concur to help ensure your flights are compliant

US Export Control laws regulate the transfer (physical and electronic) of goods, technologies and technical data outside of the US for economic, national security and foreign policy reasons. The regulations also cover the provisions of services to restricted entities or denied parties.

The three main regulatory agencies are the Department of State, the Department of Commerce and the Department of Treasury. The list below may trigger the need need for an export license from any of those agencies, although the regulations do contain some licensing exceptions and exemptions.

For foreign travel, this means UA needs to screen the following:

  1. Destination countries for embargoed or sanctioned destinations
  2. Hosting organization or individual or foreign collaborator (for professional conferences, these are the sponsoring institutions) for denied or restricted entities
  3. Transportation of any UA owned equipment either for temporary or permanent export, whether shipped ahead of time or taken as carry-on or checked baggage including laptops, computers, after-market software including encryption, scientific instruments, etc.
  4. Any technical data including proprietary or confidential data (e.g., via an NDA) and data required for the design, fabrication, operation or maintenance of military or dual-use technology

Visit the Office of Research Integrity's website for information on UAF's export controls policies and procedures.