Most sponsors require investigators and project key personnel to provide a curriculum vitae (CV) or biographical sketch as part of a proposal. Many sponsors request biosketches be provided to them that adhere to the format specified by either the National Institutes of Health, or the National Science Foundation, or a variant of one of these. Given different sponsors request this information in different formats, it is highly important to always closely review and adhere to each sponsor’s specific CV or biosketch requirements when preparing these. Below are links to the current NIH and NSF guidance on their biosketch requirements.
Save time! Stop re-keying and managing biosketches on your computer! Use Science Experts Network Curriculum Vitae (SciENcv).
Start creating biosketches, for the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the National Science Foundation (NSF), and the Institute of Education Sciences (IES), in approved formats for grant submissions. SciENcv profiles also include a user's Open Researcher and Contributor IDentifier (ORCID) ID number, when SciENcv is linked to a registered ORCID.
Benefits of SciENcv
- Pulls information from other systems, including NSF FastLane, eRA Commons, My NCBI, and ORCID
- Reduces duplicate data entry and allows quick creation and recreation of approved formatted biosketches for applications and reports
- Allows granting of delegate access to administrators who support researchers
- Helps create online professional profiles that can be made public and shared with other researcher
- Documents your education, employment, research activities, publications, honors, research grants, and other professional contributions
SciENcv is a function within the National Center for Biotechnology Information's My NCBI web application. NIH eRA Commons, NSF, and ORCID account holders who link their accounts to NCBI can populate their SciENcv profiles with the information stored in their eRA, NSF, or ORCID accounts. The information transferred to SciENcv can then be changed, hidden, augmented, or deleted. SciENcv users have full control of the content displayed in their SciENcv profiles.
Access SciENcv through My NCBI - NCBI login options:
- ERA Commons
- NSF FastLane Account
- NCBI account
- Third-party sign-in option - Type University of Alaska Fairbanks and select "University of Alaska Fairbanks" to sign as a Partner Organization
Additional SciENcv Resources
- Biosketch Format Pages, Instructions and Samples
- NIH Biosketch Template_exp 02-28-23 (.docx)
- NIH Biosketch Sample_exp 02-28-23Forms E (.docx)
- NIH Biosketch Instructions - fellowship
- NIH Biosketch Template - fellowship_exp 02-28-23 (.docx)
- NIH Biosketch Sample - Predoctoral fellowship_exp 02-28-23 (.docx)
- NIH Biosketch Sample - Postdoctoral fellowship_exp 02-28-23 (.docx)
- NSF Biosketch Instructions PAPPG NSF-20-1
- NSF fillable PDF Biographical Sketch form. Download and complete form, then upload as part of a proposal in either FastLane or Research.gov
- NSF-Approved Formats for Biosketches - required for proposals submitted or due on or after Oct 5, 2020
- Enforcement of NSF Approved Biographical Sketch, and Current & Pending Support Formats begining Oct 5, 2020
- NSF Adoption of SciENcv Format for Biosketches
- SciENcv Guidance on Creating a NSF Biosketch
- YouTube Video: SciENcv for NSF Biosketch
- Recorded webinars covers use of NSF-Approved formats and other significant changes to PAPPG
- Policy-related questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technical or IT system-related questions about NSF fillable PDF formats - contact the NSF Help Desk at 1-800-673-6188 or email@example.com