Experiential Learning

Internship and volunteer opportunities abound and are strongly encouraged!

Students can gain pre-professional experience by working as interns with resource management agencies or conservation organizations over the summer or during the school year. Various state agencies offer internships along with other organizations that are periodically posted on the listserv. Other potential internship opportunities are listed below. If you would like to sign up to receive academic upper division credit, you must fill out the following form with your Faculty Advisor:

NRM 300 Internship Sign-Up

Report Guidelines

If you are unable to find a paid internship, research experience, or part-time natural resources job right away, don't give up.

You can get additional experience on campus. Get to know faculty, graduate students, and staff. Go to office hours. Ask questions. Don't be afraid to be interested and enthusiastic. If you are intimidated by face-to-face contact with a total stranger, give them a call or send an email first. Scan through faculty websites and talk to teaching assistants and advisors to find out who is doing the kind of work that interests you. Then talk to those professors or graduate students to find out if they could use a volunteer on their research projects. Again, it gets your foot in the door and is valuable experience.

If you wish to earn academic credit for this experience, Independent Study (NRM 297, 397, 497) credits are for students working directly with UA faculty either on or off campus. To enroll, fill out the following form with your advisor for the project.

Individual Study Paperwork

Online Resources For Jobs And Internships

URSA–Undergraduate Research and Scholarly Activity

  • Seven times each year, URSA awards funding to undergraduate students to support research projects as well as travel to conferences to present their work.
  • Faculty members, postdocs and graduate students may apply for the Mentoring award opportunity each fall to receive funding to support development and implementation of undergraduate research opportunities.
  • All UAF staff, students, and faculty are eligible to apply for Community Engaged Learning awards once each fall and Innovative Technology and Education awards once each spring.
  • In 2018, URSA awarded nearly $300,000 in funding.

Follow Conservation Jobs @ConservJobBoard on Twitter

Alaska Conservation Foundation


American Fisheries Society


American Geophysical Union  Job finder. AGU galvanizes a community of Earth and space scientists that collaboratively advances and communicates science and its power to ensure a sustainable future.

Association of Zoos and Aquariums-- jobs in Zoos and Aquariums

BLM Internship information https://www.blm.gov/get-involved/internships

Bureau of Land Management in Alaska


Disney World Internship Offerings


Conservation and Land Management Internship Program


Ecolog Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news

Marine Conservation Biology Institute


Missouri Botanical Garden


The National Wildlife Federation


NEON- The National Science Foundation's NEON is a 30+ year project dedicated to collecting and providing open access continental-scale data to better understand how our nation's ecosytems are changing.  https://jobs.battelle.org/ListJobs/ByKeyword/NEON/

Ornithological Jobs


Pathways Project-Federal Jobs for students and recent graduates


Point Reyes Bird Observatory


SCA (Student Conservation Association)


The Society for Conservation Biology--SCB Job Database


Society for Range Management




Texas A&M Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences Job Board


USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site


U.S. National Forest Service


USDA Pathways Programs


U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service


Water Jobs


Watershed Management Group

UA waterWRLD internship program

WhaleFISH--Clearinghouse for marine biology internships


The Wildlife Society Job board


Alaska Agencies and Organizations

Alaska Conservation Foundation


State of Alaska

Workplace Alaska for all types of jobs with the State of Alaska. Select For Students for jobs for students and information about the internship program