Registration Process

Before You Register

Degree students

Degree students who have been accepted to a degree program may register on the web, after meeting with their advisor, beginning April 5, 2021, for the fall 2021 semester, or Nov. 8, 2021, for spring 2022.

1. Apply for admission.

  • Go to admissions if you have not yet applied or been accepted to a degree program. 

2. Review DegreeWorks.

3. Meet with your academic advisor.

If you have completed steps 1-3, You are ready to register as a degree student. View instructions on how to register.

You must go to the web and register for classes to complete the process. 


Graduate students

First-semester graduate students:

1. Meet with your academic advisor.

  • If you are unsure who is your advisor, talk to your academic department.

2. You must go to the web and register for classes to complete the process.  See How to Register.

Continuing graduate students:

1. Consult with your committee chair before registering.

2. You must go to the web and register for classes to complete the process. See How to Register.

All Graduate Students

  • Students should use tuition paid through a graduate assistantship or fellowship for courses directly related to their degree program. All fees are the student's responsibility unless the department or institute makes other arrangements with the UAF Graduate School before registration.
  • Graduate assistantship appointment letters are created and processed through the NextGen platform. If you need to print or access your contract letter after signing, you can access all of your forms through the NextGen Dashboard.  
  • Graduate fellowship award letters must be submitted directly to the Graduate School before the fee payment deadline to have your payment applied to your student account.

Nondegree students

1. Check the requirements

  • You are not working toward a degree and have not been accepted to a degree program.
  • You want to enroll as a nondegree student for the upcoming semester.
  • You will be subject to examination requirements for writing, reading and math placement for courses numbered 000 - 599.
  • For 600-level courses, please be prepared to provide supporting documentation that shows you have suitable background knowledge to successfully participate in the course.
  • You will not be eligible for financial aid.

2. Confirm your registration status

 a.     Continuing nondegree students

  • You registered as a nondegree student at any UA campus within the last two years.
  • If you meet the conditions in 1 and 2a above, you are ready to register online as a continuing nondegree student. View instructions on how to register.

b. New or returning nondegree students

  • You have never taken any courses at a UAF campus (or have not taken any courses within the last two years).
  • Submit a non degree application. If you already have access to UAOnline, log in and go to Admission under the Student Services & Account Information tab. If you are new to the University of Alaska, go to the Admissions website, select "Just Take a Class" and follow the prompts. The application is free and is normally processed within one business day.
  • If you are under 18 and have not graduated from high school, you may be required to complete an additional step.
  • For help applying, contact the Office of Admissions. For help registering, contact the Office of the Registrar.

If you meet the conditions in 1 and 2b above, you are ready to register online as a new or returning nondegree student. View instructions on how to register.

Your university records

Update your information

Corrections you can make at UAOnline

You can make corrections to your address, email and phone information at UAOnline. Select "Personal Information" then "Manage Your Address, Email and Phone Information."

  • Your current mailing address and phone. This is your school-year contact information, which might be different from your permanent, year-round contact information.
  • Your preferred email address. Note: You can forward your UAF-assigned email address by following the directions here.

Corrections you must make in person or in writing

To change the following items on your registration form, follow the directions below or see the Office of the Registrar.

  • Name. This is how your name appears on your official records. If your name is listed incorrectly, please inform the Office of the Registrar and complete name change form with proper documentation.
  • Permanent address and phone. Please make sure this address and phone number are correct.
  • College, degree, major. To change your degree or major, you must complete a change-of-major form.
  • Level. Indicates your status (graduate, undergraduate, nondegree, etc.).
  • Residency status. Check your residency status before paying your tuition and fees. If you need to request a change in your residency status, submit an "Application for Resident Tuition" form to the Office of Admissions. Applications for residency (.pdf), along with supporting documentation, are due before the published first day of instruction.

Information Release

The university may release certain directory information to the public on a routine basis unless a student requests, in writing, that the university not release it. This is called a confidential hold. See the FERPA site for more about directory information.

How to Register


Registration Online

It's important to register for classes early to get the best selection. Once you have met with your academic advisor, you can register by following the steps here. See the fee payment deadlines.

There are two options for registering  through UAOnline: the traditional online registration and the Schedule Planner. Schedule Planner lets you enter breaks during your day and gives you schedule options for courses.

If you need help logging in, follow the instructions for claiming or resetting your information. For more help, contact the OIT Support Center at 907-450-8300, toll free at 800-478-8226 or by email at

Schedule Planner (You must have cookies enabled in your browser to use Schedule Planner.)

  1. At UAOnline, log on to the secured area.
  2. Select "Student Services & Account Information," then "Registration."
  3. Select "Schedule Planner" then select the term and campus(es) you are interested in.
  4. Choose your search terms. Click "Add Course" to add courses and "Add Break" to add times during the day that you do not wish to take classes, then click "Generate Schedules." You can modify your search to include courses that are in wait-listed status by changing the "Course Status" option. You can also change your campus, term and course delivery options.
  5. View your schedule options. Depending on your courses and breaks, there may be more than one schedule available. If no schedule is available, you may need to adjust your desired classes or break times.
  6. Send to cart. Once you have selected a schedule, click "Send to Cart." You will be redirected back to UAOnline. Choose "Complete Registration Changes" to register for your selected courses or "Save Cart" to return to it later. You can access your saved cart from the "Registration" menu at UAOnline.

Traditional Online Method

  1. At UAOnline, log on to the secured area.
  2. Select "Student Services & Account Information," then "Registration."
  3. Look up courses to add. On the "Registration" page, select "Class Schedule Search." (You may also select "Register/Add/Drop Classes" and then "Class Search.") In either case, be sure to choose the proper semester or term, and choose a UAF campus from the list of campuses.
  4. Add your classes. In the "Add Classes Worksheet" on the "Register/Add/Drop Classes" page, enter the course reference numbers (CRNs) of the classes you wish to take.
  5. Variable credit class/Auditing a class. If you register for a course that has variable credit or you want to audit a course, select "Change Class Options." Enter the number of credits you want. Press the "Grade Mode" menu and highlight "Audit" to select that option. The audit option may not be available at UAOnline because not all courses allow auditors. Contact the instructor or the course department for more information.
  6. Review your schedule. After you select "Complete Registration Changes," your current schedule will be displayed. Check class locations, times and dates to ensure that you registered for the sections you wanted.
  7. Resolve errors. If there are any errors, check the error message. Some errors, such as scheduling two courses at the same time, can be resolved online by dropping a class.
    However, the following errors cannot be resolved online:
    • Test score and prerequisite errors
    • Special-permission courses
    • Exceeds maximum credits
    • Courses that appear to conflict in time. To take courses offered at times that conflict, you must obtain instructor approval to override the conflict. Once the approval has been entered by the instructor or the department, the conflicting courses will be available for you to add after you register for your other courses.
    • Registration hold. If you have a registration hold, you may not register until the hold is removed by the initiating office. Registration holds may result from:
      • Unpaid tuition and fees/outstanding balances on your student account (e.g., parking fines, course fees). See the Bursar's Office, or call 907-474-7384.
      • Judicial/disciplinary holds. See Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities, or call 907-474-7317.
      • Other registration holds. See the Office of the Registrar, or call 907-474-6300.
      • UA system holds. Because UAF is part of a statewide system, a hold at one unit of the University of Alaska will affect your registration at all UA units.

Registration In Person

Our front counter is open, but you can also register online, or by completing the 'In-Person Registration' form and emailing it to us (you can take a picture with your phone) at

After You've Registered

  1. Pay tuition and fees by the deadline. A copy of your class schedule and estimate of tuition and fees can be obtained from UAOnline.
  2. Attend classes beginning the first day of instruction. Note: you may be dropped if you do not attend the first class meeting without prior approval from your instructor.
  3. Buy your textbooks. Select "Bookstores" for bookstore contact information. (Books are purchased through the bookstore website or in person at the UAF Bookstore in Constitution Hall.)


Course Options


What waitlisting means

When a class is full, it is listed as "closed." Some courses offer a waitlist option. If you want to be waitlisted for a closed class, select "Waitlist" from the drop down menu on the registration screen at UAOnline and select "Submit Changes."

 More information on waitlisting is available on the Office of the Registrar website.

Individual and Directed Study

To register for an individual or directed study course, access the form at the Office of the Registrar's form page.  Have it signed by your instructor, the chair of the department in which the course is being taught and the dean of your school or college, attach a syllabus from your instructor, and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. Individual study course numbers end in -97. Directed study courses may be found in the current UAF catalog. The course reference number for an individual study course will be assigned by the Office of the Registrar.

Permission-Only Classes

To register for a class with a "by permission" restriction, speak with the instructor or the administrative assistant in the department offering the course about getting permission, which they can grant online. Once permission is granted, the appropriate courses will be available for you to add to your schedule via UAOnline.

Auditing a Class

Students who want to enroll in one or more courses for informational purposes may register as an auditor if space is available and auditing is permitted in the class. You pay the standard credit fees for the course, but the credits are not included in the computation of study load for full-time/part-time determination or financial aid. If you want to audit a course for which you are already registered for credit, you must make the change by the add/drop deadline. Changing from credit to audit after this date requires the approval of the instructor of the course as well as your academic advisor. The deadline for late changes from credit to audit is the same as for student-initiated withdrawals.

Mandatory Course Placement

Make sure you've met writing, reading and math placement requirements and prerequisites or you may not be able to register for some courses. See current placement information in the UAF catalog.

Credit/No-Credit Option

The credit/no-credit option enables you to enroll in courses without affecting your overall GPA. One elective course per semester can be taken under this option. You must apply for the option by Friday after the add/drop deadline. Credit/no-credit option forms are available online at or at the Office of the Registrar and may be turned in there.


Undergraduate students in good standing may take up to 18 credits in a regular (fall/spring) semester. Students who are on Academic Probation are limited to 13 credits per regular semester.

Enrollment in the summer semester is limited to 7 credits per six week session for a total of no more than 15 credits.

Students who wish to take more than 18 credits in a regular semester must a have cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Any student in good standing seeking an overload of 19 to 23 credit must get advisor approval; for more than 23 credits, or for any student with less than a 3.0 GPA, the dean of the student's college or school must also approve.


Changing Your Registration


Called to Active Duty or Other Military Orders

If you receive military orders that will impact your ability to finish the semester, UAF will work with you. Contact a manager at the Office of the Registrar to discuss your options. We can approve a late drop or withdrawal, with or without a refund of tuition and fees, depending on your circumstances.

UAF allows all students to return to school for up to two years without reapplying for admission.  If you have an absence of less than two years, you can simply re-register when you are ready to return. If you need additional time away from your program due to military service, you can request an extension by contacting the Office of the Registrar at Any graduate student needing to take time off for military obligations can file a leave of absence and should contact the Graduate School at

Closed or Canceled Classes

Information about closed classes, cancellations, changes and additions is updated daily during the registration period. Check UAOnline for changes to classes, but note that canceled courses will not appear at UAOnline. If you are registered for a class that is canceled for low enrollment or other reasons, you will be notified immediately by email. You will not be charged for the course and will receive a refund if you have already paid.

Making Changes on the Web

You can add and/or drop courses on the web through the last day of registration (see the fee payment deadlines). Follow these steps and pay any tuition and fees by the last day of fee payment.

  1. Look up the course reference number (CRN) for each course you want to add, and identify the CRN for any course you want to drop.
  2. Log on to UAOnline with your UA username and password.
  3. Under "Registration" go to "Register/Add/Drop." Follow the instructions for dropping and adding courses. (Add your courses first and then drop -- don't try to do both at once.) Be sure to select "Submit Changes" when you have completed your changes. Select "Complete your registration" to finalize any changes made to your tuition and fees.
  4. Be sure to log out of UAOnline when you are done.

Making Registration Changes In Person

If the class is a late-start class, or you are making changes after the last day of registration and fee payment, you will need to make changes using a form. Complete an add/drop form (.pdf) and  email the completed form with any required signatures to us at

  • Adding a course late must be done at the Office of the Registrar or the Community and Technical College Student Advising and Registration Center. The signature of the course instructor is required after the last day of registration.
  • If you are given permission to add a course after the last day to add, you will be charged a late add fee of $50.
  • Pay attention to the drop dates -- they affect refunds.

Dropping courses meeting less than full semester:

  • Courses meeting for four weeks or more, but less than a full semester, must be dropped within five business days of the first class to receive a full refund.
  • Courses meeting for less than four weeks, including WINTERmester and MAYmester must be dropped on the first day of class for a full refund.
  • Evening and weekend courses beginning after the deadline for adding classes and late registration must be dropped the next business day for a full refund.

Withdrawing From Courses

Withdrawing from courses meeting for the full semester

Students can withdraw from full term course(s) until Friday, Oct 29, for fall 2021 and Friday, March 25, for spring 2022. Submit the appropriate withdrawal form from the Office of the Registrar forms page,  or withdraw at UAOnline.

Withdrawing from courses meeting less than full semester

For courses lasting less than a full semester, student initiated withdrawals must be requested before 60% of the scheduled length of the course has elapsed. Contact the Office of the Registrar or student services staff at CTC or your local campus for the exact withdrawal deadline date for a specific less than full semester course.

Withdrawing after the deadline

Course withdrawals after the student-initiated withdrawal deadline are allowed only in exceptional cases and for serious and compelling reasons. Approval is not automatic, and you need to provide documented evidence to support your request. Acceptable serious and compelling reasons may include:

  1. death in the student's immediate family;
  2. medical emergency for the student or immediate family; and
  3. factors outside the student's control (e.g., fire or flood).

Failing a course or avoiding an unsatisfactory grade is not an acceptable serious and compelling reason for seeking a late withdrawal or refund, and will not be approved. Failure to comply with published deadlines or regulations is also not a serious and compelling reason to seek a late withdrawal or refund.

Appeals for late withdrawals after the deadline must be submitted within 30 class days after the beginning of the next regular semester. Written explanation of the serious and compelling reason and appropriate documentation is required upon submittal. Submission of appeals and appropriate documentation after published deadlines will not be considered. Contact the Office of the Registrar for more information.

Faculty-initiated withdrawals

If you don't meet prerequisites for a course or if you haven't participated substantially in a course you are enrolled in, the instructor has the right to withdraw you. If you are withdrawn from a course, you will be notified through your assigned university email account.

Effect of withdrawing on financial aid

If a student totally withdraws or drops courses after a refund has been issued, financial aid may need to be repaid from the student's university account. If a balance remains on the account because of this, the student has five business days to pay or a late fee will be assessed and a hold placed on the account. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm not able to register online. Why not?

There can be a number of reasons:

  1. Are you a nondegree student who hasn't taken courses within the last two years? Visit admissions, select "Apply Now," then click on 'Just take a class' then 'Just take a class non-degree seeking' then select the UAF icon. The non-degree application is free and is normally processed within 24 hours.
  2. Do you meet the placement requirements or prerequisites?
  3. Do you have holds on your account? Check your registration eligibility at UAOnline. Select "View Holds" and contact the office where the hold was originated. If you have a registration hold, you may not register until the hold is removed by the initiating office. Registration holds may result from:
  • Unpaid tuition and fees/outstanding balances on your student account (e.g., late fees, course fees, parking fines). See the Bursar's Office or call 907-474-7384.
  • Judicial/disciplinary holds. See Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities or call 907-474-5287.
  • Other registration holds. See the Office of the Registrar or call 907-474-6300.

Since UAF is part of a statewide system, a hold at one unit of the University of Alaska will affect your registration at all UA units.

For other problems, contact the Office of the Registrar at 907-474-6300 or

What is enrollment verification?

UAF is partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse to provide proof of enrollment electronically. Insurance companies accept national clearinghouse certificates. Once logged in to the secured area of UAOnline, select "Enrollment Verifications" from the "Student Services & Account Information" menu. Enrollment verification request forms may also be submitted to the Office of the Registrar for purposes other than loan deferment.

What is a course override?

In some cases, your instructor may need to grant you a course override before you are allowed to register for a specific section. Common reasons for course overrides include:

  • approval for waiver of a class prerequisite.
  • instructor or department approval required for registration.
  • course is restricted to certain majors, class standing, etc.
  • approval for a time conflict.
  • approval to register for a closed (full) class.
  • permission to add a class from the wait list.

Only the primary instructor of the course can approve a course override for you.

I can't log on to UAOnline. Help!

UAOnline allows you to log on using your UA username and password. These are the same credentials you use to log into webmail, Blackboard and many other applications at the University of Alaska. To find out your UA username or to reset your password, go to ELMO: Easy Login Maintenance Option.