Kenai Peninsula District Office
The Alaska Master Gardener Program
Alaska Master Gardeners are volunteers for the University of Alaska Fairbanks who receive 40 hours of horticulture training specific to Alaska in exchange for a commitment to 40 hours of volunteer time utilizing skills acquired during training.
The next online class is being offered August 23, 2021 through December 3, 2021. To access our statewide Master Gardening Program information go to: https://www.uaf.edu/ces/garden/mastergardeners/online/
Live or Zoom Master Gardening course information for the Kenai Peninsula District is posted as it becomes available.
AgHort Outdoor Webpage
Loaded with resources and links for farms and gardens - Including a compendium of COVID-19 Resources (click here)
Agriculture, Garden, and Lawn Webinars
- Watch recently recorded webinars by the Kenai District you might have missed
- Sign up for Kenai District UAF CES email news and information updates
- Upcoming webinars offered nationally
Range and Livestock Calculators
- Cattle Stocking Rate Calculator
- Domestic Livestock Stocking Rate Calculator
- Pasture and Wildland Seeding Rate Calculator
- Forage Test Nitrate Converter
Spruce Bark Beetles: What you need to know
Spruce Bark Beetles are making an impact on spruce trees across the Kenai Peninsula. Click here then type"bark beetle" in the search box in order to:
- learn what bark beetles are and how they damage trees.
- learn bark beetle groups in Alaska.
- learn signs and symptoms of bark beetle activity.
- learn potential bark beetle threats to Alaska.
- become familiar with the vocabulary of bark beetles.
For even more information, view Spruce Bark Beetles: Tree Management Options for Home and Woodlot Owners for Southcentral and Interior Alaska
Please call our office at (907) 262-5824, to schedule an appointment or leave a message and we will return your call.
- If you have agriculture, horticulture, yard, garden, and crop pest and disease questions, please click here to submit your questions to Dr. Casey Matney .
- If you would like to have your canner gauge tested (free of charge) for accuracy, please send an email to Vicki Heinz - email@example.com
- If you are interested in 4-H and Youth Development, please send an email to Cassy Rankin - firstname.lastname@example.org
You can access and download all of our free publications anytime at http://cespubs.uaf.edu/
The 2021-22 4-H year officially began October 1 and runs through the last day of September. View our 4-H Club Brochure for a list of the current clubs on the Kenai Peninsula and contact information on how to join. It's not to late to begin your 4-H journey and "Learn by Doing."
The Family Nutrition Program
We are offering all programming via live-streamed Zoom sessions, including the popular nutrition lessons for elementary students, for more information please contact Amorette Payment - email@example.com
Kenai Peninsula Faculty & Staff :
- Agriculture and Horticulture Agent: Casey Matney, Ph.D., firstname.lastname@example.org, 907.262.3443
- 4-H Program Coordinator: Cassy Rankin, email@example.com, 907.262.3441
- Nutrition Educator: Amorette Payment, firstname.lastname@example.org, 907.262.3444
- Office Manager/Administrative Assistant: Vicki Heinz, email@example.com, 907.262.3442
- Home, Health and Family Agent: Linda Tannehill has recently retired after 28 years of service to the Kenai Peninsula. This faculty position is in the process of being filled. In the meantime, please continue to reach out to our office with your questions, we will route them to the appropriate Cooperative Extension Service agent in another part of the state. 907.262.5824