Military and Veterans: VA Educational Benefits



Types of VA Education Benefits

Explore the different types of VA benefits for education available and find out what you may qualify for.

Post-9/11 GI Bill®

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® pays tuition and fees up to 36 months. This benefit is available for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, dependent children and spouses using benefits transferred by a qualifying veteran or service member and also Purple Heart recipients who were honorably discharged after September 11, 2001 with any amount of service.

Montgomery GI Bill®

The Montgomery GI Bill® is another veterans education benefit to help with tuition and training costs. There are three programs available: Active Duty, Selected Reserve, and Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP).

Tuition Assistance Top-Up Program

The Top-Up program allows you to use the GI Bill® to supplement tuition and fees not covered by tuition assistance. This is a good option if you plan to use tuition assistance to complete your degree while on active duty, or if you’re just taking a few courses.

Veteran Readiness & Employment

This education benefit for military veterans helps with Veteran Readiness & Employment services for veterans who have a service-connected disability of 10% and higher.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA)

If you’re the spouse or child of a veteran or active service member who has died, is captured or missing, or is permanently or totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability, you may be able to get help paying for college or professional training through the DEA program or Fry Scholarship.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at 



Get Help With VA Education Benefits

The UAF Department of Military and Veteran Services has staff to advise you on VA educational benefits. Our expert advisors can help you determine which benefits you and your family can use, how to apply for military education benefits, complete paperwork and more.