FAQs for Southcentral-based students enrolled in UAF teacher education programs

NO! You can become a teacher or a counselor through a UAF education program without leaving the Southcentral region. Learn more about the wide selection of education degree programs offered in the Southcentral region, including programs with both face to face and distance delivered courses.

It depends on your degree program. Our most popular degrees (elementary and secondary certification programs) offer face-to-face courses in Anchorage and Fairbanks, as well as through distance delivery to all of Alaska.  As a UAF student, you can also enroll in face to face classes at UAA that meet your degree requirements! Visit our Anchorage based advisor to learn more about choosing a course sequence and delivery mode that works best for you.

YES! UAF programs allow students to complete both short term (15-30 hour) and long term (semester and year long) fieldwork experiences at nearly any public school district in Alaska. Depending on the district, there are different policies and protocols that are followed to set up fieldwork and internship experiences, so be sure to work with your advisors and program faculty.

It depends on your credits. UAA allows any UA student to live on campus, but they do require that undergraduate students be enrolled in 9 or more credits. If you’re taking less than 9 credits, you can fill out an exception form and submit it to the UAA Director of University Housing. To live on campus at UAF you just need to be enrolled in one UA credit.

Yes. Regardless of location, when you enroll in a UAF school of education program, you pay the UAF students fees that include student services as published in the course catalog. UAF and UAA are collaborating to ensure that if located in Anchorage, these same student fees apply to the comparable UAA student service. For example, the UAA SeaWolf card will gain you access to library services, sporting events, and support services. If you have questions about specific fees or services, please contact the UAF Office of the Bursar at 907-474-7384 or uaf-bursar@alaska.edu for more information.

Students need to have one face-to-face class where they are sitting in the same room with their instructor (not an online synchronous class) in order to get the full GI Bill® housing stipend.

Undergraduate students using VA benefits: After being accepted into UAF and are registered for classes, students will need to talk with the Department of Military and Veteran Services for Certification. This includes filling out a Certification Request Form (PDF) and a VA Change Form (PDF) if you are transferring from UAA.

Graduate level students using VA Benefits: In addition to the undergraduate requirements, once students are registered for classes, their advisor will need to submit their graduate studies plan and advisor memo to the Department of Military and Veteran Services. The School of Education and Department of Military and Veteran Services coordinate to ensure compliance.

For students using  VA educational benefits, contact:

Jackie Morton, Director
Department of Military and Veteran Services
Phone: 907-474-7400
Email: jemorton@alaska.edu

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

UAF transfer credit staff will work directly with UAF SOE advisors to ensure credits are applied in the best way possible for each student's circumstances. Note that UAF will evaluate all prior college transcripts, not just the UAA transcript. If a student previously transferred from another school when originally applying to UAA, UAF will re-evaluate those transcripts for UAF credit. All transcripts submitted previously to UAA are available for UAF staff and there should be no need for the student to submit duplicate transcripts to UAF.

Depending on your program, you may still be able to take UAA face-to-face courses that count towards your degree. Face-to-face courses in Anchorage are also offered for some UAF education courses.

For financial aid, all UAA transfer students need to add the UAF School Code (001063) to their 2019-2020 FAFSA, so that UAF can award financial aid. Students who wish to borrow federal loans must complete the following requirements at the Federal Student Aid website:

  1. Master Promissory Note
  2. Entrance Counseling Exam

Lastly, students need to accept the amount of a federal loan that they wish to borrow through UAOnline.

For questions about UAF financial aid, contact:

Ashley Munro, Associate Director
Financial Aid Office
Phone: 907-474-1934
Toll-free: 888-474-7256
Email: akmunro@alaska.edu

This one page handout (PDF) provides an overview of program, certificate and licensure programs available in the University of Alaska system for students interested in working in early childhood.