Phi Alpha Honor Society
Welcome to the Kappa Xi Chapter of the Phi Alpha!
Phi Alpha Honor Society is a certified member of the Association of College Honors Societies. As social work’s largest and internationally recognized honors society, Phi Alpha invites students who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work to apply for membership. The purposes of a national honor society are to provide closer bonds among social work students and to promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Membership demonstrates high academic excellent and standards and is respected by employers, social workers, and college admissions.
Some membership benefits include:
- Lifetime Phi Alpha Honor Society Membership
- Membership certificate, card, and lapel pin
- Honor cord and/or stole (provided by our chapter as funding allows)
- Leadership experience as a chapter officer
- Opportunity to lead and/or participate in a service project
- Looks good on your graduate school application and on your resume
- Competitive awards/grants/scholarships available:
- Advisor of the Year
- Chapter Grants
- Chapter Service Award
- Poster Presentation Competition
- MSW Scholarship
- Patty Gibbs-Wahlberg Scholarship (BSW)
- Student Leadership Award
Additionally, our chapter is able to award two membership cost scholarships per academic year for those in financial need.
Requirements for membership include:
- Declared Social Work major
- Sophomore standing
- Completed 9 semester hours of required social work courses. The courses listed must be designated SWK.
- 3.25 grade point average in Social Work classes
- 3.0 overall grade point average
- $30.00 membership fee
- Completed application form during one of two application periods a year.
There are two application periods a year, at the beginning of the fall semester and the spring semester. This gives students more opportunities to apply to and be involved in our chapter.
Official induction ceremonies are done once per academic year, at the end of the spring semester. Members who are new and/or not yet inducted are encouraged to participate.
- Chapter meetings
- Chapter recruitment efforts (supported by the national organization)
- Lead or assist with a community or national service project
- Serve in a chapter leadership position, which include:
- Vice President
- Phi Alpha Kappa Xi chapter constitution (PDF)
- Phi Alpha national bylaws (PDF)
- Phi Alpha national service project ideas
- Phi Alpha national scholarship/awards
Faculty advisor: Christina Ireton, LCSW
Phi Alpha Honor Society Kappa Xi Chapter
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Social Work Department
P.O. Box 756480
Fairbanks, AK 99775-6480
Current chapter leadership:
- President: Open, seeking member to fulfill
- Vice President: Open, seeking member to fulfill
- Secretary/Treasurer: Open, seeking member to fulfill