Land Use Permits

The University of Alaska Fairbanks recognizes the rights of all landowners to control access to their own property; therefore, it is essential that university personnel obtain landowner permission prior to accessing any non-university lands. Obtaining this permission is the responsibility of the principal investigator or program leader. All land use agreements should be routed through the UA Land Management Office for institutional review and signature. 

University of Alaska Land Management
910 Yukon Drive, Suite 106
Fairbanks, Alaska 99775

Phone: 907-450-8133

The UAF Offices of Research Integrity and Office of Grants and Contracts Administration strongly recommend that landowner permission be obtained prior to proposal submission for externally funded research projects to avoid delays should the proposal be awarded.

Permission to access the property should be obtained in writing and carried by the person(s) accessing the property whenever possible.

The information provided on this site does not cover all possible land owners, but the available information has been grouped into the following landowner categories for your convenience:

Bureau of Land Management (Public Lands): Realty/Lands Program

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - Alaska Region (National Wildlife Refuges)


U.S. National Park Service - Alaska Region (National Parks and Monuments) Address:  240 West 5th Avenue, Room 114, Anchorage, Alaska, 99501.  Phone 907-644-3362 or 907-644-3533.

U.S. Forest Service (National Forests)

U.S. Department of Defense (Military Bases and Lands)

State Lands

Alaska Department of Natural Resources
(State Parks, Recreation Areas, Forests, etc.)
Division Permits

Borough Lands

North Slope Borough
Address:  North Slope Borough Planning Department, Permitting & Zoning Division, P.O. Box 69, Barrow , AK 99723. 
Phone: 907-852-0320. 
Land Management Regulations Division Website
Permits Website

Most Alaska Native Corporations have a Land Manager who can provide you with maps and guidance on how to request permission to access their Corporation lands. For more information about the regions served by each corporation refer to the Alaska Federation of Natives website's membership page.

Address: Land & Resources Department, P.O. Box 649, Glenallen, AK 99588.
Phone: 907-822-3476. Fax: 907-822-3495.

Aleut Corporation.
Address: The Aleut Corporation, 4000 Old Seward Highway, Suite 300, Anchorage, AK 99503.
Phone: 907-561-4300. Fax: 907-561-4328.

Arctic Slope Corporation.
Address: Arctic Slope Regional Corporation, 3900 C. Street, Suite 801, Anchorage, AK 99503-5963.
Phone: 907-339-6000. Fax: 907-339-6028. 

Bristol Bay Native Corporation.
Address: 800 Cordova Street, Suite 200, Anchorage, AK 99501.
Phone: 800-426-3602 or 907-278-3602.
Fax: 907-276-3925.
Email: Contact Site.

Bering Straits Native Corporation.
Nome Office
Address: BSNC Land and Resources Department, PO Box 1008, Nome, AK 99762.
Phone: 907-443-5252.
Fax: 907-443-2985.
Anchorage Office
Address: BSNC Land and Resources Department, 2441 Cinnabar Loop, Suite 200, Anchorage, AK 99507.
Phone: 907-344-7121 ext. 104.
Fax: 907-344-0827.

Calista Corporation.
Address: Department of Land and Natural Resources, 301 Calista Court, Suite A, Anchorage, AK 99518.
Phone: 907-279-5516 or 800-478-5079.
Fax: 907-272-5060.

Chugach Alaska Corporation.
Address: Lands Department, Chugach Alaska Corporation, 560 Easy 34th Avenue Suite 300, Anchorage, AK 99503.
Phone: 907-563-8866.
Fax: 907-561-6961.
Email: Contact Site.

Cook Inlet Region, Inc.
Address: CIRI Land and Resources Department, PO Box 93330, Anchorage, AK 99509-3330.
Phone: 907-263-5140 or 907-274-8638.
Fax: 907-263-5190.

Doyon Limited.
Address: Lands & Natural Resources, Doyon Limited, 1 Doyon Place, Suite 300, Fairbanks, AK 99701-2941.
Phone: 907-459-2030 or 800-478-4755.
Fax: 907-459-2062. 

Konaig, Inc.
Address: Lands & Natural Resources, 104 Center Avenue, Suite 205, Kodiak, AK 99615.
Phone: 907-481-4140 or 800-658-3818.
Fax: 907-486-3325.

NANA, Inc.
Address: NANA Lands, 1001 East Benson Boulevard, Anchorage AK 99508.
Phone: 907-265-4100.
Fax: 907-265-4372.

Address: One Sealaska Plaza, Suite 400, Juneau AK 99801.
Phone: 907-586-1512 (main) or 907-586-9276 (natural resources).
Fax: 907-586-2304.


BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc. (PDF) - letter containing information about requirements for access to North Slope oil fields from Bill Streever, BP Environmental Studies Leader, to Craig Dorman, UA Vice President for Research.

It is the principal investigator's responsibility to determine who owns the land and to get the landowner's permission to access the property.  In Alaska, contact the Lands Office for the borough where the property is located for assistance in determining property ownership. The Lands Office can usually provide contact information for the owner.

If you have information on land use authorization procedures or landowner contact information that is not included here, but may be of use to other researchers please forward it to the Office of Research Integrity.

Alaska maps can be obtained from the following locations: