Future International Students

StudentsProspective student at UAF

I am looking to enter a university for the first time, I am looking to start a new graduate degree, or I am looking to permanently transfer to UAF.

The U.S. Department of State also offers a variety of resources for students wishing to study in the United States, covering topics such as a general overview of higher education at the undergraduate and graduate levels and how student visas work through their program, EducationUSA. Please review the Department of State website for additional information relating to the visa application process.  

The Office of Admissions and the Registrar will collect and oversee the review of your admissions documents. In order to issue your U.S. immigration document (I-20 - needed to apply for the F-1 student visa and to enter the U.S. in student status), we must receive the UAF Financial Verification document (PDF) and supporting documentation. Additionally, to ensure your I-20 is issued accurately, we must have a copy of your passport identification page. Once we have received these documents and you are fully admitted, International Student and Scholar Services will issue the immigration document (I-20) and send it to you along with your official letter of acceptance and information about applying for your F-1 visa and travel to Alaska.

UAF Admissions Counselors are more than happy to help you through the application process and answer your questions about the university and life in Alaska. You may email them at uaf-admissions@alaska.edu

For questions regarding the F-1 visa and immigration, please feel free to contact Reija Shnoro, our Student Immigration Advisor. You may also wish to visit the Frequently Asked Questions on the Information for Newly Admitted Students. Information is available about the visa application process, arriving in Fairbanks, employment and other topics.

We're excited that you are considering the University of Alaska Fairbanks!  You can learn more by visiting UAF's page for International Student Admissions.

I am currently enrolled at a university outside of the U.S., and I want to spend either a term or a year studying at UAF, before returning to my home institution.

Newly admitted studentsStudents

Congratulations on being admitted to the University of Alaska Fairbanks!  We are excited that you will be joining our community, and want to do everything possible to help you feel welcome. You are joining a proud academic community with many members spread around the globe!  We look forward to your arrival. Please, let us know if you have any questions or if we can do anything to ease your arrival.

Degree seeking students coming in F-1 status:

Once you are formally admitted to UAF, the Office of Admissions will send you an email with an official letter of admission. The ISSS office is also notified of your admission and will contact you to collect required documentation for an I-20 issuance as soon as we are able.

Exchange students coming in J-1 status:

Once your application has been approved and all the required documents for issuing the DS-2019 are received, ISSS will prepare your DS-2019. ISSS will then send your document, along with other information to you via your UAF email. 

Note: The Incoming Exchange Coordinator will also be in contact with you through email for course registrations and other processes.

Please take time to review the information provided in the links below so that your arrival may be as easy and pleasant as possible. We look forward to welcoming you to UAF and Fairbanks!

Information for newly admitted students