Welcome, International Students!

UAF is a diverse community that welcomes students from all over the world. Whether you’re just starting college or transferring from a university overseas, we are here to help you succeed in your education and get the most out of your experience in Alaska.




Information for Future International Students:
New Undergraduates, Graduates or Permanent Transfer Students

Are you an international student who is looking to enter a university for the first time, start a new graduate degree or permanently transfer to UAF?

Step 1: Apply for admission

To start your adventure at UAF, your first step will be to apply for admission. We offer a fast and convenient online application. 

You'll also send your official secondary school and/or university transcripts to a NACES-approved evaluation service and request a comprehensive course-by-course credential report. Transcripts from Canadian institutions (excluding Quebec) are exempt from this requirement; they may be sent directly from the issuing institution.
SpanTran is a NACES-member company that has created a custom application for UAF students. We recommend using the UAF SpanTran Evaluation Request Form to ensure you get the right kind of evaluation at a discounted rate.
Once you are admitted into a degree program at UAF, we’ll start preparing your I-20 — the form needed to apply for the F-1 student visa and to enter the U.S. in student status.


Step 2: Submit a copy of your passport and financial statement

In order to issue your immigration documents, we must receive the UAF Financial Statement for International Students (PDF) and supporting documentation. We’ll also need a copy of your passport identification page, permanent resident address outside the U.S. and city of birth confirmation.

Your immigration documents will be emailed to your UAF email address. You may request shipment of your immigration document(s) by contacting the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) office.


Step 3: Apply for your student visa

You must have a student visa to study in the United States. UAF offers documents for two student visa types (F and J) depending on the type of program you attend. As part of the application process, you’ll also need to schedule a visa interview. Find more information about applying for a student visa.


Information for Visiting International Students

Are you currently enrolled at a university outside of the United States and looking to spend either a term or a year studying at UAF before returning to your home institution? 

Contact the international studies office at your current university

How you will apply to UAF depends on which university you are currently attending and whether you are a National Student Exchange student, an international student from a north2north partner university or an international student from a non-partner university. View application instructions for visiting international students. Once you are admitted into a degree program at UAF, we’ll start preparing your immigration documents needed to apply for the student visa and to enter the U.S. in student status.


Information for New International Students

If you are a degree seeking student coming in F-1 status, your I-20 will be e-mailed to your UAF email address with other admission information.

If you are an exchange or study abroad student coming in J-1 status, the DS-2019 will be e-mailed to your UAF email address along with other admission information.