From our history to date and from the commitments that UAF shares about the future, we have defined the values that guide our activities in the years to come. These are our core values:
- Anti-racism: transforming policies, practices, systems, and structures to be more racially equitable.
Anti-racism recognizes the intersectionality of various forms of power and oppression at work in our society and lives. Engaging in anti-racism simultaneously breaks down white supremacy (and the -isms it supports, such as colonialism, ableism, sexism, homophobia, etc.)
while lifting up those most marginalized.
- Justice: removing and fixing supremacist structures and systems, while acknowledging the historical
and social context of privilege and oppression. This transformation removes all barriers
resulting in equal access to tools and opportunities for all.
- Action: setting and achieving goals; making choices to use our words and behaviors to be
proactive allies, creating positive change in our communities and fostering justice.
- Inclusion: ensuring all members of our community are welcomed, supported, and involved in creating
a sense of belonging without judgment.
- Equity: ensuring all individuals have access to resources, support, positions and pay they
need to succeed.
- Wellness: ensuring that all individuals are holistically cared for. All are safe and healthy (physically, intellectually, emotionally, socially, spiritually, vocationally, financially, and environmentally) and are comfortable expressing their humanity (vulnerability, empathy, compassion, honesty, respect, and dignity) and being their authentic selves in interactions with others.