Fall 2023 Accounting Recruitment Week
First, let’s clarify one thing: The traditional name has stuck, but “Accounting Recruitment Week” is really a lot more than just one week! It is a collection of events held every year specifically for accounting students and alumni. Accounting firms from across Alaska come to campus for a Meet the Firms networking event to get to know you and share the opportunities they have available. You’ll be able to submit your applications to the attending firms, with the potential to interview! Most recruiters are looking for students on a public accounting track, but we welcome all kinds of accounting students to this event. All recruiters involved are happy to talk with you about discerning the path that’s best for you.
Accounting Recruitment Week is a time to explore a variety of internship opportunities and career pathways with both local and national firms. There are many events, and steps you will take throughout what is essentially accounting recruitment month. We strongly encourage you attend Accounting Recruitment Week orientation (see under dates and deadlines) to have the greatest sucess. In the meantime, please utilize the following information and attached checklist.
- Review this website to gain a comprehensive understanding of Accounting Recruitment Week
- Review open positions on Handshake
- Visit the event on Handshake to research attending accounting firms
- Assemble a professional outfit
- Make sure you log into Handshake to activate your FREE student account prior to this event. Simply log in with your UA username and password.
- Make sure your Handshake account is updated as employers will be reviewing your profile.
- You will be using Handshake to participate in this event. You may prefer to download the mobile app for an easier experience. [Apple, Android]
- Attend Meet the Firms on Friday, September 22. This is an interactive tabling event where you will be able to connect with accounting firms and discuss open positions and career opportunities.
Update your resume, think of experiences you can tie into cover letters, and make sure you have at least three professional references ready if asked. Have these materials reviewed by more than one person. Consider scheduling an appointment with UAF Career Services office to review your resume and cover letter and conduct a mock interview.
- Many applications require a reference. We encourage you to contact faculty and previous supervisors by September 17 if requesting they be listed as a reference.
- Update your resume and cover letter prior to the application deadline. You are encouraged to make an appointment with Career Services before September 20.
- Ask your faculty for feedback on your resume and cover letter.
- Apply to open positions by October 1st by 11:59 pm AKT.
If you are selected to interview, you will contacted directly by the individual firms. Be sure to give them a good email and phone number and check your email regulary!
- Complete mock interview appointments with Career Services in preparation for interview weeks.
- Participate in accounting interview between October 4 - October 20. Interviews may be in-person on-campus, off-campus, or virtual. The accounting firm will contact you directly to schedule interviews.
Whether or not you get the job, send a thank you card or email to the firms. If you haven't heard back from a recruiter more than one week after your interview, send an email or call the firm.
- Follow-up each interview by sending a thank you email to the hiring committee.
After every accounting recruitment event, we ask recruiters, "What advice would you give applicants who plan to interview next year?" See what they had to say in past years:
- "Come prepared to talk about your future. This includes knowing their graduation date and CPA eligibility plan. How they will get where they would like to be. How they will differentiate themselves" (BDO USA, LLP, 2021)
- "Have a plan for the CPA exam!" (Altman, Rogers & Co., 2021)
- "Follow up emails after an interview are something that should be done even if you're not interested in the firm you interviewed with. Maintaining eye contact is another thing I saw candidates struggling with." (The Brandon Skinner Group, P.C., 2021)
- "You will benefit from resume help and interview practice." (RJG A Professional Corporation, CPAs 2018)
- "Give the interview and the process 100% even if you are not sure where you want to end up. You never know who knows who or when you will see someone again. First impressions matter." (State of Alaska Division of Legislative Audit, 2018)
- "Never be afraid to ask questions. Make sure your contact numbers and email addresses are current and up to date." (Wilson & Wilson CPAs, Inc. , 2018)
Friday, September 22, 1-7:00 pm.: CBSM Accounting Day
- 1-3 pm: Professional Development Day (Employer & Student Panels)
- 3:30-5:00 pm: Meet the Firms
- 5-7 pm: Student and Professional Dinner
**Between scheduled sessions, stay for games, door prizes, and professional photos
Sunday, October 1 @ 11:59 pm AKT: Candidate application deadline
Wednesday, October 4 - Friday, October 20: Interviews (Accounting firms will contact you directly to schedule your interviews.)
Friday, October 27 @ 5:00 pm AKT: Deadline for applicants to accept or decline offers
The checklist below will have a comprehensive list of important dates and deadlines related to Accounting Recruitment Week!
What is Handshake?
Handshake is the University of Alaska's career management website. It's easy to navigate, works on your phone, and allows you to find jobs and connect with local and national firms. Handshake is where you will find information about the firms attending Accounting Recruitment Week and the jobs and internships they have posted. It is also where you will apply for positions!
Meet the Firms-
Below you will find information on each firm attending our meet the firms event on September 22nd from 3:30-5:00 pm. in the Wood Center Ballroom. This event will be an interactive tabling experience where students and alumni will move between tables to connect with firms.