2023-2024 tours and attractions
Where do you go from here? Take a hike, or a tour or a class. With 2,250 acres to explore on our Fairbanks campus, there’s always something going on. So find an activity that suits you. The highlights below are a good place to start, and you’ll find lots of other events on our calendar.
Tours subject to change. Call ahead to confirm dates and times. All tours free except where otherwise indicated.
Get to know UAF on student-led, 90-minute tours. Call or text 907-474-7500 to request
a tour. For a self-guided tour, search “UAF Campus Tour” on Spotify. A virtual tour is
Explore over 10 acres of plant displays and demonstration gardens. Don’t miss the popular children’s garden, boasting one of the largest hedge mazes in the country. Donation requested.
- Hours: Memorial Day through Labor Day, daily, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Self-guided tour: daily
- Web: Georgeson Botanical Garden website
Get up close and personal with reindeer and muskoxen, survivors from the ice age.
Gift shop on site with items by Alaska artists. Admission fee.
- Hours: May 23-Sept. 11, daily, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Tours: 10 a.m., noon and 2 p.m., daily
- Phone: 907-474-5724
- Web: Large Animal Research Station website
Discover millions of years of biodiversity and thousands of years of cultural traditions at one of Alaska’s premier visitor attractions. Admission fee.
- May-22-Aug. 20, daily, 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Aug. 21-May 20, daily, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Phone: 907-474-7505
- Web: UA Museum of the North website
Learn about our giant satellite dishes and how world-class researchers study everything from the center of the Earth to the center of the sun.
- Guided tours: Memorial Day through Labor Day, Wednesdays, 1 p.m.
- Self-guided indoor or outdoor tours: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Web: GI Visitor information and tours
Explore our lobby for a glimpse of climate change research, see our giant display
warming Arctic temperatures on the 4th floor, or take an outdoor wildfire and climate change walk.
- Hours: Weekdays 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Closed on major holidays.
- Email: UAF-IARC@alaska.edu
- Phone: 907-474-1544
Tour the largest land-based rocket range in the world and the only high-latitude
range in the U.S. Two-hour walking tours start at 2 p.m.
- May 4 & 18
- June 1 & 15
- July 6 & 20
- Aug. 3 & 17
- Web: Poker Flat Research Range website
UAF photo by Todd Paris
UAF photo by Todd Paris
Go for a hike!
UAF’s trail system is great for hiking, biking or skiing.
The 2,250-acre Fairbanks campus, located near the center of Alaska, offers limitless opportunities for activity and recreation. Fairbanks, Alaska’s second largest city, sits on the banks of the Chena River in the heart of Alaska. Learn more about the Fairbanks area.