Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry invites you to join us in pursuit of your dreams. There are so many great reasons to choose UAF and pursue a degree in chemistry or biochemistry. There’s no place in the world quite like Fairbanks, Alaska and no comparison to the education, research opportunities, community, and good times that you will undoubtedly experience here.
The American Chemistry Society (ACS) approval carries national recognition that the department meets high standards in its faculty, facilities and curriculum. It is also a great resources for planning your future, finding jobs and internships, and networking with other chemistry professionals.
Contribute to cutting edge research opportunities and become part of the change. Faculty members have more than two million dollars per year of grants and contracts from federal, state, and private organizations including but not limited to NASA, Department of Defense, and NOAA.
Degrees & Programs
Create a limitless future for yourself through our immersive, exciting, and challenging programs.
We offer an action-packed Accelerated B.S./M.S. Chemistry degree program to help propel
you into an amazing career as soon as possible!
Whether you want to continue your education and go for your doctorate or jump right into the work force, our accelerated program is designed to help you achieve your goals quickly while still obtaining a quality education.
Don’t underestimate yourself.
Resources for funding
You don't have to go into major debt to pay for your education. There are tons of scholarships, grants, assistantships, and other funding opportunities at your finger tips. So, go for it. Sky's the limit!
- Login into the Scholarship Application System via your UAOnline account
- Complete the General Application and any supplemental applications presented. You’ll be automatically matched with scholarship opportunities for which you meet the criteria. The system also provides additional recommended scholarships that may be available to you.
- If you are awarded a scholarship you will receive an award email to your UA email address. You can also check on the status of your application by logging back into the system at any time.
- February 15 for the following academic year for most UAF Scholarships
- The most common way to fund yourself is through a teaching or research assistantship, especially for international students.
- The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry is proud to offer several scholarships for chemistry major students. All you need to do is apply!
- The Richard Smith Freshman Scholarship
- The Gerald Swisher Scholarship
- The Ronald S. Cosgrave Engineering Scholarship
- The Quinton Costello Memorial Scholarship
- The ACS Hach Scientific Scholarships
- The William S. Wilson Memorial Scholarship