Wickersham Hall

1743 South Chandalar Drive

Wickersham HallUAF photos by Sierra Coley

Built in 1957, Wickersham Hall accommodates almost 100 students. The three-story complex has four-person suites in addition to single rooms. Each floor has a kitchen. The hall has a lounge and a laundry.

For many years a women's hall, it more recently was converted to coed by room. It also offers rooms where students can live with any student — regardless of sex, gender, gender identity or expression. As of fall 2021, Wickersham Hall was closed but renovations began in 2022 and it reopened in fall 2023.

On Jan. 12, 1958, the hall was dedicated to Judge James A. Wickersham and his second wife, Grace. Both made important contributions to the development of the university. As Alaska's delegate to the U.S. Congress for 14 years, James Wickersham had a hand in establishing the Alaska Territorial Legislature, the Alaska Railroad, Mount McKinley National Park (renamed Denali National Park and Preserve in 1980) and the Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines (renamed the University of Alaska in 1935).

Grace Wickersham was a member of the Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines Board of Trustees from 1933 to 1935 and a member of the University of Alaska Board of Regents from 1935 to 1941.