Honors House

1818 Copper Lane

Copper Lane Houses

Photo by Allison Blanchard, UAF University Relations

The Honors House, home to the Honors College, is the last building standing among six homes built on Copper Lane from 1949-1950 for faculty at the new Geophysical Institute.

The 2010 and 2019 master plans for campus called for demolition of all the Copper Lane houses. The 2019 plan included the houses in a list of campus residential facilities that "suffer from major deferred maintenance and inefficient space-use."

Two Copper Lane houses were burned in University Fire Department training exercises. In 2019, the three remaining houses, including the 1806 Copper Lane building occupied since 1977 by the United Catholic Campus Ministry, were demolished.