Student Support Services at UAF
Frequently Asked Questions
- Visit the UA coronavirus information website to learn how the University of Alaska is responding to the novel coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and find links to UA Student FAQs, communications, policy guidance and resources.
Apply For Emergency Funding:
- We understand that you may have been financially impacted by COVID-19. If you need financial assistance, apply for the Student Support Fund.
Find help with tutoring, mentoring, course selection, financial aid, career advising and more at Student Support Services. As a Federal TRiO Student Support Services program, we serve first-generation college students, students with disabilities and low-income students.
Welcome to Student Support Services
There are people you can talk to and turn to for help as you pursue higher education. Whether you’re a first generation college student, experience a disability or need financial help, Student Support Services is here to ensure you get the support you need to succeed.
We help you navigate higher education and make your college experience as easy as possible, offering a one-stop-shop that includes comprehensive advising and free tutoring services for qualifying students. Our mission is to increase the academic achievement, retention and graduation rates of first-generation, low-income students, and students with disabilities.
What Are Student Support Services?
Our staff is dedicated to providing a broad base of quality services with a focused holistic approach and student-centered learning environment. Services we provide include:
- Course selection
- Information for financial aid programs, benefits and resources for locating public and private scholarships
- Education and advising to improve financial and economic literacy
- Assistance with graduate and professional programs applications
- Individualized advising for personal, career, academic information and activities
- Exposure to cultural events and unique academic programs
- Connections to undergraduate research, internships, and other opportunities for learning beyond the classroom
Receive extra academic help from expert college tutors. We offer free walk-in and scheduled tutoring services for one-on-one or for small groups.
Introduction to Student Support Services
Student Support Services by the Numbers
SSS students graduated w/in 6 years or less
fall to fall retention
baccalaureate seeking first year students in the fall were either FG or LI
SSS students were in good academic standing
*Note: statistics are calculated on a 5-year cycle in accordance with our grant requirements; these data are from our 2015-16 grant application and will be updated during the next re-application cycle.
Apply Now for Student Support Services
College is an adventure, but it’s not uncommon to experience challenges along the way. That’s why we are here to help you on your journey. Apply today and find out everything Student Support Services has to offer.
Donate to Student Support Services
The TRiO Student Support Services program works with students every day to access opportunities that reshape their future. Help us to continue to offer scholarships and other assistance to students in need.
Join the Emerging Scholars Academy
Are you a first-time first year student? Consider applying for the Emerging Scholars Academy — you could save more than $1,500 in tuition and fees!
Connect with us on social media
Check us out on social media to learn more about what we do and connect with opportunities.