Programs & Camps with Minors

At UAF we have hundreds of youth coming to campus to learn and to have a small taste of what UAF is about. This website will provide guidance to assist the multiple groups working with youth and assures a successful UAF experience for these young people.

What Training should I take?

IF you are responsible for, in control of or care for minors on or off campus without parent/guardian expected presence


  •   You are a UAF employee, OR
  •   You are a UAF volunteer, OR
  •   You are directing the supervisors, chaperones, volunteers, and employees in the program, OR
  •   You are hiring or screening the potential supervisors, chaperones, volunteers, or employees.


Residential Programs

If you do have a program where minors are staying at UAF facilities, camping, or traveling, below are guides to help with that part of your program.

UAF Housing

If you are using UAF Housing for your programs, be sure and contact Conference Services at (907) 474-5065 or to reserve your rooms.

In addition to the reservation, you will need to provide on-site adults that will be in charge of the minors staying the dorms. The staff of Res Life is unable to provide this service and minors are unable to stay without that adult participation.

Non-UAF Group

If you are an outside group with minors requesting to use rooms in our facilities, we do require that you certify that the adults staying with the minors:

  1. Have been trained and certified in the identification, prevention and reporting of sexual abuse of minors:
  2. Has undergone a local, state and nationwide criminal background check and national sex offender registry check; and
  3. The organization must provide an insurance rider, endorsement or secondary policy that provides coverage for general liability, abuses/molestation and names the University as an additional insured. If the specified coverages are unavailable under a current insurance policy, the coverage can be purchased.

Please use this form for the Certification: POM Certification (PDF)

UAF Camp, Activity, Event

As with the Non-UAF Group you will need to have adult counselors that stay with your attendees at Residence Life dorms. Your counselors will be designated as Authorized Adults and will need to take all of the required training as well as complete a background check if they have not done so for 3 years. We also suggest that you have the following in place:

  1. Code of Conduct signed by the attendee that includes the expectation of the attendees while staying at the dorm.
  2. Emergency numbers for each of the attendees, including contact information for their parents and guardians.
  3. Work with Residence Life to obtain a copy of their emergency action plan for fire and other emergency issues that could occur such as fire, earthquake, an active shooter, etc. and prepare your attendees on what to do and where to meet.
  4. Limited unwanted access to your attendees.
  5. Provide reasonable accommodations for all attendees (i.e. cis-gender and transgender minors) participating.