Moving in guide



9 Things to do Before Move-In Day

1) Learn About Orientation

Learn more about opening day activities by reading about our student, family and parent orientation.

2) Know your Handbook

Familiarize yourself with our Housing Handbook to make sure you understand housing policies before moving in.

3) Submit Health Records

Make sure your meningitis and other required vaccination information has been submitted to the University Health Center.

4) Check Your Insurance

Check your family's homeowners' or apartment renter's insurance policy to make sure valuables you bring to campus will be covered.

5) Know Your Room Assignment

After learning your room assignment (available July 11), login to your Nanook Housing portal  to view your housing status and your designated check-in day and time.


6) Set Up Your New Mailing Address and Shipping Ahead of Time

The campus post office provides boxes for on-campus residents. If you plan to receive mail or packages while living on campus, you must register for a PO Box. Please go to the UAF Post Office website for more information on how to register for a PO Box. After you register for a PO Box, you will receive a physical address to receive private carrier packages. Due to space limitations, packages should not arrive before August 21.

7) Connect with Your Roommate(s)

After learning your roommate's name(s), reach out to your roommate(s)! Share academic plans, common interests, and what each of you will contribute to your room's set-up. Check-out more about living with a roommate here. We know you're excited about personalizing your space on campus, but keep in mind that your room will be a shared living space, make sure you set ground rules before move-in.

8) Figure Out What to Pack

Review our items to bring checklists for items you should bring, and things not to forget. Most students bring too much stuff. The best advice we've heard is to set out everything you want to bring, then pack and bring one-half of the total.


9) Arriving on Campus

Look over the UAF Campus Map. Since campus is a big place you'll want to know where to go, but don't worry too much about getting lost, there will be lots of signs and people to help get you to the right place.

Early Arrival Fall Move-In

If you are a part of an authorized group that has an early move-in, you will be notified of your move-in date by your group. Below are groups that typically have an early move-in date (Note: more groups will be added, please check back if you don't see yours yet). You may be charged an early move-in fee through Wednesday, August 21, 2019. Please contact your group for additional information. Dining Services Meal Plan are available to use at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, August 22, 2019.

Group Name Arrival Details
UAF Athletic Teams If you are a member of a UAF athletic team that requires an early arrival, your arrival date will be coordinated between your coach and the Department of Residence Life.
International Students Students determined to have an academic reason for an early arrival will be granted access to their fall room assignment. Documentation for early arrival will be necessary for approved status. Please contact the UAF International Programs & Initiatives for instructions.
Wilderness Welcome Date of arrival to be determined
Student Orientation Leaders Date of arrival to be determined
Other Students Please find alternate accommodations until the residence halls open on Thursday, August 22. If you chose to arrive early, we may not be able to accommodate you. If we are, you will be charged $125/night for your early arrival.


Check-In Instructions

When you check into your room, you will need to complete an Online Room Condition Report (RCR), and you will receive a room key.

Online room condition reports (RCR)

A room condition report is an inventory of the items in your room and their condition at the time of check-in. Residents have 48 hours to review and either accept or dispute their RCR; any RCR that is not accepted in this time frame will be considered automatically accepted. It is each resident’s responsibility to review the condition of their room by accessing and signing the Room Condition report. When a resident is checking out of their room the RCR will be utilized to assess any damages that were not listed on the RCR at the time of check in. You can access your RCR at any time through the Nanook Housing portal.



Students will be given room/apartment keys by the hall staff upon checking into their rooms. Hall staff will review important move-in information with each student upon their check-in. (Please see keys for more information on information pertaining to your room/apartment keys, including lock-outs.)



utensils icon

Dining options

Where can I use my meal plan?
Cart icon

REV-IT-UP move-in event

The event is designed for first year students moving into Moore and Skarland. Staff are on hand to help move residents into their rooms. In an effort to simplify your transition to campus, services are set up in the MBS Complex. All residents are welcome to attend Rev-It-Up to take care of University business.

button icon

Technology information

For technology information and what technology to bring (and not to bring).

book icon

Peer mentors

Peer Mentors are available to help you learn subjects from accounting to foreign languages.

plug icon


Only 1 refrigerator to be used per residence hall room. The refrigerator must meet the following specifications: Less than 5 cubic feet in size 120 Volt Energy rating less than 2 amps.

bed icon

Room swap

To request a room a change after you move in, you can use the Room Swap or Even Room Swap program.