Guest Housing FAQ

Does the University of Alaska-Fairbanks offer temporary lodging for visitors? 

The University of Alaska Fairbanks offers Guest Housing through the Department of Residence Life. Overnight lodging through Guest Housing is fee based. The Department of Residence Life offers overnight lodging to UAF-affiliated guests for stays generally 30-days or less. Stays over 30 days are approved on a case-by-case basis.

Who is eligible to use the services of Guest Housing? 

The Department of Residence Life provides short-term (generally Iess than 30 days) on-campus guest accommodations for persons visiting the University campus for University-related business or University-related purposes. Examples include attendees participating in University summer sessions or seminars, visiting students or professors or research sponsored employees working with University faculty or staff, guest lecturers, visiting researchers or scientists, transient faculty or staff, and prospective students and parents who are visiting the University campus or participating in a University campus tour. UA students are not eligible for guest housing. If you are unsure of your eligibility, please contact the Residence Life Central Office for assistance at (907) 474-7247.

Can minors stay in University provided Guest Housing? 

Guests eligible for housing are visiting persons who are 18 years of age or older. Minors are permitted as long as they are accompanied by an authorized adult or parent/legal guardian. Minors are not permitted to stay unaccompanied in UAF guest housing. Groups with minors are required to submit supplemental paperwork through University Risk Management. Visiting guests must present current state issued identification at check-in.

Are pets allowed?

Pets and animals are prohibited throughout all residential and dining facilities. Breach of this provision will result in termination of your reservation. Service animals for individuals with disabilities (as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act) are permitted.

Is Guest Housing available for persons not affiliated with the University? 

Guest Housing is not available to persons who are not affiliated with the University.

Where or how can I apply for Guest Housing? Can I apply on-line?

Currently, reservations can be made on our Guest Housing Interest form. Users can click on the "I would like to submit e Conference Inquiry" button and do not need to login.

What are the accommodation or lodging options for guests staying between 1-29 nights? 

Depending on availability, people staying in Guest Housing may have the option to choose from a traditional style room, suite style room, or an apartment unit. Guests who request a traditional residence hall room can reserve a single room with one bed or a double room with two beds. Suite style rooms have two double rooms with a shared bathroom and common area between them or a single room with a bathroom. Apartment units have a private kitchen, living room and bathroom with two double occupancy rooms.

What are the accommodation or lodging options for guests staying longer than 30 nights? 

Guests who are employees and wish to make a reservation of 30 nights or longer must apply through the Employee, Family, and Graduate housing application process. If a unit is not available, employees can choose to stay in a residence hall until a unit becomes available. Employees staying longer than 30 nights are considered ‘residents’ rather than guests.  Generally, non-employees are not permitted to stay longer than 30 nights in Guest Housing. Exceptions can be made on a case by case basis.

What buildings on campus can be requested for Guest Housing? 

At the discretion of Residence Life, Cutler, Wickersham, McIntosh, Bartlett, Moore, and Skarland may be used in the summer season (June 1 - July 31). Any of the regularly used Guest Housing buildings may be taken off-line at any time due to maintenance projects, construction, renovation, or other updates. Buildings available for summer season will usually be determined by February 1 of each year.

How much does it cost to stay in Guest Housing? 

Here are the rates for traditional style, suite style and apartment rooms.

Is there a deposit required or advance payment needed?

Guests are not required to pay a deposit. However, there is a $100 down payment due before the reservation date.  Refer to Guest Housing Terms & Conditions. 

Can the bill associated with Guest Housing be split between individuals? 

Yes, the bill associated with Guest Housing can be split between individuals.

What amenities are included in the nightly price? Is there WiFi? Can I use a kitchen?

Explore what is included in traditional style, suite style and apartment rooms. 

Are the rooms furnished?

All rooms are furnished. Explore what is in traditional, suite and apartment rooms.

Where can I park if I have a vehicle? 

You must purchase a parking pass to park on-campus during normal business hours. Parking passes can be purchased from a parking kiosk in Taku, Nenana, or UA Museum parking lots. More information can be found on the parking service page.

Are the bathrooms shared or private? 

There are clean and spacious common use (shared) bathrooms available for those reserving traditional style rooms; these room types do not offer private bathrooms. The shared bathrooms do have individual private shower stalls and toilets. Common use bathrooms are shared with other guests on your floor; please note that depending on your assignment, a bathroom that corresponds with your gender identity may be a floor above or below your room. Suite style rooms have a private toilet in each suite, but share a common shower down the hall. Cutler apartment units have one bathroom per unit for guests of that unit to use. These apartment bathrooms include a private sink, toilet, and shower.

When is check-in?

Check in can occur after 3pm. You will be provided instructions for where and how to check in through your assignment letter. If you need to check in earlier please communicate with the Department of Residence Life when making your reservation. View the map.

When is check-out?

Check-out is at 12 noon for all guests. If you need a later check out time, please communicate that when making your reservation.

Can I cancel and receive a refund? 

Cancellation requests received more than seven (7) days before arrival will receive a full refund. Cancellation requests received fewer than seven days before arrival forfeit their entire down payment ($100). If the Department of Residence Life receives no advance notice of cancellation and the guest does not show, no refund will be made and the guest will forfeit the entire prepayment.

If, after check-in, a guest wishes to shorten their reservation by changing the departure date, minimum advance notice of one (1) business day is required to receive the refund. Failure to provide such notice will result in the guest being charged that night’s housing.  

How far in advance can I reserve a room? How far in advance must I reserve a room?

Reservations throughout the academic year should be made at least two weeks in advance. Summer reservations should be made at least 3 days in advance. Requests for accommodations can be made year round. Confirmation of available space for summer will be sent out typically around February 1. 

Is there paperwork to sign before coming to campus? What must I do prior to arrival? 

The following must be completed at least two weeks prior to arrival:

  • You will receive a separate email with a DocuSign Occupancy Agreement. Please review and sign electronically.
  • If you have additional guests in your party please send us the following information; guest name, gender, phone, email and date of birth. If you have a specific roommate plan, please send us this as well.
  • If your group has minors (under the age of 18), the University requires a proof of insurance certificate. Once you have indicated you are bringing minors to campus we will email you the required forms. View the minor visitation form here.
  • For billing purposes, you are required to have a UA ID number. If you do not have a UA ID number, please complete and submit the this form.
  • After you have your UA ID, please email your ID to and:
    • Call 907-474-7247 to pay the $100 down payment. All forms of payment are accepted.
How can Guest Housing be contacted?

You can call, email or come by our Central Office: 

Phone: 907-474-7247


Please note: The Central Office is open M-F, 8am-5pm, and closed on all Holidays.

Who do guests call if they experience a maintenance issue?

If you lose your key or have a maintenance issue guests can go by the Central Office at Moore-Bartlett-Skarland building. If it's after 5 p.m., call the Resident Assistant on duty at (907) 406-2177.

Can guests pick the room they stay in?

Guests can pick between traditional rooms, suite rooms or apartment rooms. Guest Housing staff will then place guess where there is availability within the guest’s choice.