UAF students attend a concert at the recreation center

Welcome to Nanook Nation! You'll find that UAF is a close-knit community where academic pursuits are balanced with the continuing quest for friendship, adventure and shared experiences.

When you transfer to the University of Alaska Fairbanks you'll find wisdom that passes from one generation to the next, revolutionary ideas thriving and a new academic culture taking shape. Smarter questions. Better answers.

What you achieve at UAF is only limited by your imagination.

Special instructions

Getting started

  1. Apply online, and pay the application fee. Please see below for additional details about applying as a new or returning UA student.
  2. Order official transcripts from your current school and any previous colleges or universities you’ve attended. Send these to UAF. NOTE: If you’ve completed at least 30 semester credits (45 quarter credits), all we need is your application for admission and college transcript(s). If you’ve completed less than 30 credits, please send us your official high school transcript and ACT or SAT scores in addition to your college transcripts.

Students who've never attended the University of Alaska

Follow the instructions on how to apply as a new student.

If you have completed general education requirements at other institutions, check out the transfer credit guidelines to see how these classes might transfer to meet UAF general education requirements. 

If you who have earned an associate of arts or associate of science degree from a regionally accredited institution, your lower-division general education requirements will be waived. If you have earned a baccalaureate degree or completed general education requirements at a four-year regionally accredited institution, your general education requirements will be waived.

Students who've attended a UA campus before (UAA or UAS)

Follow the instructions on how to apply as a returning student.

If you're planning to transfer to UAF from UAA or UAS, general education requirements you have already completed are transferable. If you have completed all your general education requirements at UAA or UAS, you have fulfilled all your general education requirements at UAF. If you have completed some general education requirements at UAA or UAS, you can check out the UA System Transfer table to see how they can be used to meet UAF general education requirements.

Transfer information

Transfer credit is credit that has been earned from other regionally accredited institutions, through military educational experiences, approved National exams (CLEP, AP, IB) or credit accepted by special approval. Where possible, your transfer credit is equated with UAF courses and all other classes will transfer as elective credit.

Review the policies surrounding transfer of credit to UAF.

GPAs from other colleges or universities, including UAA and UAS, are not computed in your UAF GPA; however, they are used when determining your eligibility for honors at the time of graduation.

UAF is on a semester calendar system. If you are transferring from a quarter system, your credits will be converted to semester credits. A quarter system credit is equivalent to two-thirds of a semester credit.

To transfer credits to meet graduate program requirements, contact the Graduate School for more information.

The transfer credit resource website is an unofficial reference for undergraduate students considering transferring to UAF. An official evaluation of transfer credits will be provided after you have formally applied and been admitted to a degree program at UAF. In the meantime, the transfer credit resource website can help you see how the course credits you bring with you may equate with specific course offerings at UAF.

UAF is a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges network. For additional information about the SOC program, contact an admissions counselor.

Alternate ways to earn credit

In addition to transferring your credits from other institutions, you can also earn UAF transfer credit through a variety of alternatives.

  • Credit for national exams: These are some of the exams that you can take to receive credit.
    • Advanced Placement (AP) with a minimum score of 3, or a score of 4 or 5 for Calculus AB or BC
    •  International Baccalaureate (IB) with a minimum score of 4, or 5 for mathematics
    • College Level Examination Placement (CLEP)
    • Brigham Young University Foreign Language Achievement Test (BYU FLAT)
    • DANTES Standardized Subject Test (DSST)
    • NOTE: UAF Testing Services offers CLEP and BYU FLAT exams.
  • Credit for Prior Learning: For more information contact the Academic Advising Center.
  • Credit by Certificate: Some professional fields offer certification for training that may be eligible for transfer credit. To find out more, contact Transfer Credit, in the Office of the Registraror your advisor.
  •  Military Training: Send your military transcripts to the Office of Admissions.
  • Local Advanced Placement: Students who place into a higher level class in Writing or Alaska Native languages may qualify for credit. Check with the Office of the Registrar or your advisor to see if you’re eligible.

Mailing transcripts:

All forms, transcripts and test scores should be sent to:

University of Alaska Fairbanks
Office of Admissions
PO Box 757480
Fairbanks AK 99775-7480

Electronic transcripts should be sent to

Questions about UAF, admissions or life in Alaska?

Contact an admissions counselor

Apply today!

  1. Register with an email address and create a password.
  2. Create a profile with basic identification and contact information.
  3. Start an application, select a term, program and tell us about your academic history. Once you begin filling out an online application, you can save and complete it later.
  4. Electronically sign, pay and submit your application.

If you have any questions as you are going through the application process, please contact us — we are here to help.

Back to Top