Maintenance Services


The Department of Residence Life and UAF Facilities Services are partners in the maintenance of all residential facilities. Maintenance repair requests for your room or apartment are made through your hall staff or the Department of Residence Life.



How to Submit a Maintenance Request

Issues in common spaces can be brought to the attention of Residence Life staff who will fill out a work order. However, you'll submit a maintenance request through the MyHousing portal for you room or apartment. Work orders can take time to complete depending on the nature of the situation. Please don't attempt to make any repairs on your own.


Login to MyHousing portal

Maintenance requests are submitted via the MyHousing portal.



File and submit your request

From the left-side menu, select "RCR/Damages" > "Maintenance Requests" > "Add Work Order".

Enter your maintenance request with a title, a brief statement describing the issue and choose the category it falls under. Please be as specific and detailed as possible in the description. This will include the location and details of the issue. The status of your maintenance request can be checked in the MyHousing portal.



Please note that Residence Life reserves the right to charge for repair service if it's determined that the damage did not result from everyday wear and tear. You're responsible for promoting a clean and well-maintained living environment. It's expected that residents will not damage or vandalize University property or remove property from its designated location in the residential communities. Residents are still responsible for repair costs even if the damages are accidental. If damages are the result of vandalism, residents may also face student conduct and/or damage charges.  Upon check-in, residents have 48 hours to report any damages not listed on the Room Condition Report (RCR).




Maintenance Emergencies

If your apartment or room has an emergency issue, call (907) 474-7247 to report this directly to the Department of Residence Life between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday. After hours, report the emergencies to the RA on duty. If you cannot get a hold of Residence Life staff, call UAF dispatch at (907) 474-7721. The following maintenance issues are generally considered to be emergencies:

  • Plumbing (toilet is not flushing or is spewing water)
  • Broken window
  • Fire safety equipment issue
  • Flood
  • Loss of heat or water
  • For fires or fire alarms caused by fire, evacuate the area and DIAL 9-1-1
  • Electricity outage
  • Key/lock issues
  • Any situation that compromises the health or safety of residents/community. Should you cause, witness or become aware of an event that may require a response for cleanup, contact your hall staff to initiate this action.


Common Facility Issues


Contact the Department of Residence Life or a Residence Life staff member regarding maintenance to sinks, bathtubs or toilets. You can attempt to clear clogs with a plunger before calling for assistance. Please don't use Drano or any other cleaning compound. Don't put garbage, paper towels, fish tank debris, grease, tea or coffee grounds etc., into any drain.

Pest Control

We request your best efforts toward maintaining a clean and sanitary residence. In the event of a pest infestation, contact a Residence Life staff member in your area immediately. There's no direct cost to you for this service. However, if the infestation is found to be the result of poor housekeeping or hygiene practices, you'll be assessed for the services.

Heat Loss

Windows in residential facilities are a significant source of heat loss. Please refrain from leaving windows open when temperatures drop below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, as freezing can occur. This can also cause buildings to create more heat and higher temperatures in other rooms, making the community uncomfortable.

Key/Lock issues

Duplication of any University keys, including room keys, is prohibited by the code of conduct. Do not use any type of chemical liquid lubricant such as WD-40 on the lock or key. When keys are lost, and the resident is unable to provide identification, an emergency lock core change must be initiated. Contact Residence Life staff for any key or lock issues.



Additional Services

Custodial services

Custodial services for common areas are provided by a janitorial company that works to maintain a clean and comfortable living environment in your building. They're responsible for cleaning and sanitizing common bathrooms, showers, lounges, laundry rooms, kitchens and corridors. If you find cleanliness issues in residence hall common area bathrooms, please use the posted QR codes to report it. For other areas, contact Residence Life staff.

Snow Removal

Residents in apartments are responsible for the removal of snow from their apartment porches and step areas that provide access to the unit. University grounds crew removes snow from campus sidewalks and parking lots. If you see an unsafe condition please let staff know or report the condition through Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management.