FALL 2020 Operations During COVID-19
The 2020-2021 academic year opens with protocols in place to help keep the campus community safe and provide a quality dining program. Our goal is for everyone to feel at ease as we reopen this Fall. We would like to assure you that with the additional measures being implemented for health and safety, we are still committed to offering a high quality and diverse dining program.
This site will be updated as our plan continues to evolve in accordance with university, CDC and public health authority guidelines.
Safety & Sanitation
- All employees will wear personal protective equipment including masks and gloves.
- New standards are being developed for employee health monitoring and qualifications to work their shift in order to keep our guests safe.
- Expanding our sanitation practices in dining locations with a heavy focus on high frequency touch point cleaning,
- Physical barriers will be installed at cashier stations.
- Sanitizing stations for customers and staff will be available in the dining areas.
- 3rd party companies will be required to abide by our policies.
- Signage will be posted at all dining locations including floor makers, flow of traffic directional, and more to properly allow social distancing in our Dining areas.
- Floor tape indicating proper distancing at cashier and pick up areas.
- Some dining areas will be one way in and one way out to optimize flow of traffic and social distancing.
- We will be relying heavily on digital communications in the fall including Dine On Campus App (menus and notifications), Grubhub (mobile ordering) and social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) to help stay engaged and communicate with guests.
Dining Locations and Hours of Operation
- Alaska Grill – Wood Center (Grubhub only)
- Dine 49 – Wood Center
- Arctic Java – Wood Center (Grubhub only)
- Fuse - Wood Center
- Campus Cache- MBS Complex
- Subway-MBS Complex
Please see our hours of operation here.
Changes in Services
- GrubHub, mobile ordering, will be strongly encouraged. Starting September 8, 2020, Arctic Java and Alaska Grill will operate as exclusively mobile ordering locations.
- Customer limits will be in place per any mandates in any of our service areas.
- Wrapped, disposable, single-use silverware will be utilized. Self-serve condiments will be removed, and single serve items will be available.
- Eliminate self-serve stations with non-wrapped food items ie. deli station/salad bar. Prepackaged Grab and Go products will be available for these stations. This may limit the number of stations that will be open during the dinner period.
- Operations will be takeout only and seating will not be available until after labor day (September 7, 2020).
- When reopened, tables will be spaced for social distancing.
- We will ask that at no point should guests move tables or chairs from their predetermined positions to meet guidelines.
- Due to the loss of seating spaces, we will be encouraging more guests to take their orders to-go and will be set up to increase our takeout options.
These plans outline some, but not all, of the measures that are we need to plan for. We will continue adding more details to this site as we are able to solidify plans for dining options, hours and additional considerations. We appreciate your patience as our plans evolve.
If you have any questions or concerns, we encourage you to reach out to Chartwells Customer Experience Manager, Angelo Casiano at email@example.com or by texting Chatback at (907) 312-5616.
Visit the UA coronavirus information website to learn how the University of Alaska is responding to the novel coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and find links to FAQs, communications, policy guidance and resources.
Check out our new lineup of plans for 2020-2021. Experience the added value of a meal plan!
Enjoy dining on campus. With seven locations, you're sure to find something to satisfy your hunger.