2001-2002 UAF Catalog

UAF Expenses

Financial Aid

What types of aid are available?

Grants, Scholarships and Fellowships

Grants are usually based on your financial need, while scholarship awards are based on academic achievement and promise as well as financial need. These types of aid do not have to be repaid. Most grants and scholarships are designed for undergraduate students.

Pell Grant

The federal Pell Grant is a grant for undergraduates to help start paying college costs. Since this grant is based on financial need, every undergraduate should apply for it. Once you have applied, the federal processor will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR) indicating whether you qualify for a federal Pell Grant. Federal Pell Grants range up to $3,300 for the 2001 - 2002 school year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This is a grant for exceptionally needy undergraduate students. FSEOGs at UAF could range from $400 to $1,000 each year.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) grants

The BIA offers federal grants to undergraduate full-time students. You must be at least one-quarter American Indian or Alaska Native to apply. These grants are based on financial need and supplement other financial aid. Grants range from $50 to $3,000 or more each year. The average grant at UAF is $1,600. Further information on BIA grants can be obtained from the BIA Regional Office, 1675 C Street, Anchorage, Alaska, 99501-5198, telephone (907) 271-4115.

Native Corporation Scholarships

Some regional and village corporations provide scholarships to shareholders. Contact your local corporation for details on eligibility and application procedures. Also see Rural Student Services in the Student Services section of this catalog.

University of Alaska Scholars Program

The UA Scholars Award is a four-year, $11,000 scholarship offered to Alaskan high school students in the top 10 percent of their graduating class as determined by qualifying high schools. The determination is based on academic criteria at the end of the junior year. Contact the UA Scholars Program, telephone (877)-257-2465 or (907) 474-5105, e-mail scholars@alaska.edu, or web www.alaska.edu/scholars/.

UAF Privately Funded Scholarships

The deadline for applying for UAF privately funded scholarships is February 15. Early applications are strongly encouraged. The Financial Aid Office coordinates scholarship applications with the various departments which evaluate the applications for appropriate scholarships. Applications are available at the UAF Financial Office, or web www.uaf.edu/finaid/scholarships.html.

University of Alaska Foundation Scholarships

Scholarships are available for students attending any campus in the UA system. The deadline is February 15. Applications are available in the UAF Financial Aid Office or at the UA Foundation Office, 206 Butrovich Building. For information telephone (907) 474-7687, e-mail sdfnd@alaska.edu, or web www.alaska.edu/uafound/.

Human Achievement Award

Awards are for graduating high school seniors and transfer students who demonstrate a record of volunteerism, humanitarianism or community service. To request an application, contact the Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 757480, Fairbanks, Alaska 99775, telephone (907) 474-7500 or 1-800-478-1823, e-mail uaf-admissions@alaska.edu, or web www.uaf.edu/finaid/. The deadline is February 15.

Chancellor's Scholarships and Talent Awards

These awards are available in limited numbers to first-time freshmen. To request an application, contact the Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 757480, Fairbanks, Alaska 99775, telephone (907) 474-7500 or 1-800-478-1823, e-mail uaf-admissions@alaska.edu, or web www.uaf.edu/finaid/. The deadline is February 15.

Alaska State Room Scholarship

The Alaska State Room Scholarship is a two-year waiver of room charges awarded to the highest academically ranked graduating senior at each Alaska high school. The determination is based on academic criteria at the end of the seventh semester of high school. For information on the designation process contact your high school counselor, or contact the State Room Scholarship Office telephone (877)-257-2465 or (907) 474-5105.

Army ROTC Scholarships

These scholarships are awarded to thousands of students annually on a competitive basis nationwide. The amount and length of the scholarships are based on the quality of the applicant. Scholarship awards range from $3,000 to $12,500 annually and may range from two to four years. In addition to tuition, each recipient receives $450 for books and supplies and up to $2,000 in spending money, tax free.

For further information about the Army Scholarship program, eligibility requirements and the application process, contact the Department of Military Science at (907) 474-6852 or e-mail fyrotc@uaf.edu.

Graduate Fellowships

Fellowships are available through the University of Alaska Foundation, the Graduate School and private organizations. There are a limited number of these awards granted each year and the amount of the awards varies. For information, contact the UA Foundation, (907) 474-7687 or the Graduate School, (907) 474-7464.

Graduate Assistantships

Research and teaching assistantships are awarded to qualified graduate students by each department or program. For application information, contact the department or program directly.

Graduate assistants generally receive stipends of up to $8,000 to $10,500 for the academic year. Graduate assistants can be paid for a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session. Students with assistantships must be registered for at least nine credits during the fall and spring semesters and six credits during the summer.

Teaching assistantships include a tuition payment by the university for no more than 10 credits to cover three courses during each semester if the work load is 15 to 20 hours per week. If the workload is 10 to 14 hours per week, no more than five credits will be included. No tuition will be included if the work load is less than 10 hours per week.

Research assistantships include a tuition payment by grants/contracts for no more than 10 credits to cover three courses during each semester if the work load is 15 to 20 hours per week. If the work load is 10 to 14 hours per week, no more than five credits will be included. No tuition will be included if the work load is less than 10 hours per week.

Tuition supplements may be used for tuition only. All fees are the responsibility of the student unless the department or grant makes other arrangements with UAF Business Office PRIOR TO REGISTRATION.

Students who have a research or teaching assistantship during the summer semester may apply for a Summer Tuition Scholarship. Students must have been registered for 9 credits (3 of which must be at the graduate level) during the preceding fall and spring semesters and be registered for 6 credits of research or thesis during the summer to eligible for this scholarship. Please see the Graduate School for further information or an application.

A graduate student with a GPA less than 3.0 for one semester will be allowed to petition to continue as a graduate assistant for the next semester. A maximum one semester exception will be allowed per student. The petition by the student must be approved by the student's advisory committee chair, the department head and dean.


Campus jobs help many UAF students pay for college costs. Approximately 1,000 students are employed in campus jobs. There are many student positions currently available across campus. Some student vacancy announcements have been posted as continuous recruitment. Full-time student status is not required unless specified by a department. However, students that are less than full time are subject to FICA withholding and those departments which hire part time student employees are subject to the applicable benefit rate charge.

Student employees can work up to 20 hours each week while classes are in session and up to 40 hours when classes are not in session. Pay rates are based on the job classification, and the average pay can vary from $150 to $400 each month. Since there is no "pool" for workers, students apply directly to the departments with position vacancies. Job announcements and more information can be obtained from Career Services, fifth floor Gruening Building, (907) 474-7596, or from Human Resources, Administrative Services Center, (907) 474-7700.

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federal program that provides jobs for graduate and undergraduate students with financial need. Job placement and working conditions are similar to regular student employment. To qualify for FWS, students must be eligible for federal financial aid as determined by the Financial Aid Office.


A loan for college costs is money that must be repaid. Loans represent a major source of assistance you should consider as you try to meet the full costs of your education. Educational loans generally have long-term repayment schedules, offer low interest rates, and often have provisions for deferring payments. Some loans are based on residency in Alaska while other loans are based on financial need. Before you borrow money for college, you should understand the specific conditions and requirements regarding disbursements, deferments and repayment options. If you fail to meet the conditions of the promissory note, you may be denied all federal aid, lose your good credit rating and be unable to borrow money to buy a car or home. Loan terms are subject to change at any time.

The Alaska Student Loan Program (ASL) is administered by the state of Alaska to provide student loans to eligible Alaska residents. Eligibility is based on residency and physical presence in the state of Alaska for at least one year before applying. Credit reports are required for some applicants. This program is the major source of financial aid for students at UAF. Students attending part time (6 to 11 credits each semester) may borrow for the cost of tuition fees and books up to $5,000 as an undergraduate and up to $4,500 as a graduate student. Full-time students enrolled in 12 or more credits each semester may borrow for food and housing costs as well as tuition, fees, books and supplies up to $8,500 as an undergraduate and up to $9,500 as a graduate student. The Alaska Student Loan, combined with estimated income for the school year, cannot exceed estimated cost of education as determined by the Alaska Student Loan Office. Repayment begins no later than six months after the borrower ceases full-time study. The 2000 - 2001 finance charge is 8.0 percent interest a year on the outstanding balance. The state of Alaska will pay the interest for students during qualifying periods.

The priority deadline for receipt of applications is May 15 for the school year beginning in the fall. Applicants must apply each year. Applications are available throughout the state at high schools and postsecondary schools. Further information about the Alaska Student Loan Program can be obtained from the Division of Student Financial Aid, Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education, 3030 Vintage Boulevard, Juneau, Alaska 99801, phone (800) 441-2962, or web www.state.ak.us/acpe/.

UAF participates in two types of federal student loans: William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan and the federal Stafford Loan Programs. The direct loan program provides loans from the U.S. Department of Education through UAF. The Stafford loan program provides loans from a lender such as a bank, through a guarantee agency and UAF. Each has two types of loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. You qualify for a subsidized loan if you have financial need. Subsidized means the government makes interest payments on your loan while you are in school, in your grace period, or in deferment. Unsubsidized means that you are responsible for interest payments, even while you are in school. Students must be enrolled in at least six credits to qualify for a federal loan. Yearly limits for dependent students are $2,625 for first-year students, $3,500 for second-year students and $5,500 for upper-level undergraduates. Independent students may borrow, including the subsidized federal loan, up to $6,625 as a first-year student, $7,500 as a second-year student and $10,500 as third or fourth-year students. Graduate students may borrow $18,500, of which $8,500 can be a subsidized loan. The interest rate varies annually and is capped at 8.25 percent. The interest rate for 1999-2000 was 7.59 percent.

The following table outlines what your monthly payments would be over a 10-year repayment period.

Total Loan Monthly Payments 8.25 Percent Interest Total Repayment
$ 5,000 $ 61 $ 2,359 $ 7,359
10,000 123 4,718 14,718
15,000 184 7,098 23,078
20,000 233 8,965 28,965
25,000 307 11,796 36,796

The federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is a program for parents of dependent students. The cost of attending UAF determines the annual and aggregate loan limits. A variable interest rate or finance charge, not to exceed 9 percent, is determined each year for the federal PLUS programs.

The Family Education Loan Program is a state loan program that allows the student's family to share the cost of the student's education. As an alternative to the ASL, the family member can borrow up to $8,500 for an undergraduate and up to $9,500 for a graduate. The interest rate is 5 percent.

Emergency Loans are administered by UAF for enrolled students who have unexpected financial demands. These short-term loans allow students to borrow up to $500. Information about these loans can be obtained at the Business Office. To apply for an emergency loan, you must be in good academic standing and have no outstanding debt with UAF. You are required to verify your need for the loan. Applications will be accepted from the first day of registration until Nov. 1 for the fall semester and until April 1 for the spring semester. A service charge of $10 will be charged for each loan.

Tax Credits are available for students and parents who file federal tax returns. The Hope Scholarship Credit allows taxpayers to claim a maximum of $1,500 (100 percent of the first $1,000 of tuition and fees and 50 percent of the next $1,000 of tuition and fees) annually for the first two years of college. The student may be either the taxpayer, the taxpayer's spouse or a dependent.

The Lifetime Learning Credit can be claimed for higher education expenses incurred by the taxpayer, the taxpayer's spouse or a dependent. The Lifetime Learning Credit applies to expenses paid for academic periods beginning after June 30, 1998 and is usable for any year of school, for an unlimited number of years. Education expenses can also be claimed for incidental study, such as a single course taken to improve job skills. The Lifetime Learning Credit lets taxpayers claim a maximum credit of $1,000 (20 percent of up to $5,000 paid in higher education expenses) beginning on June 30, 1998 through 2002. In 2003, taxpayers can claim $2,000 (20 percent of up to $10,000 paid in higher education expenses).

These tax credits are phased out for taxpayers with adjusted gross incomes between $40,000 - $50,000 and between $80,000 - $100,000 for joint filers.

To be eligible for the federal student aid programs, you cannot owe a refund on any federal grant nor can you be in default on any federal loan for attendance at any institution. Some financial aid is based on the expected receipt of aid from other programs. To receive as much aid as possible, you should apply for the federal Pell Grant Program. More information about the federal programs is given in the "Student Guide." The Federal Student Aid Information Center has a toll free number, 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243), 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, eastern time, for students, parents and educators to inquire about student aid and the application process. Each applicant for financial aid will be sent a Financial Aid Notice when aid is offered by the Financial Aid Office. Students may accept or decline the offer of aid. Students must apply each year for financial aid.

UAF reserves the right to revise any financial aid award. Modification of awards may be required due to lack of federal or state funding, corrections or changes in the data reported to the university by parents and/or students, receipt of additional awards from non-college sources, unintended error, student changes in credit load, change in residence or other reasons consistent with university policies and procedures.