General Studies

Students pursuing a bachelor’s degree who haven’t declared a major or haven’t decided which major to pursue are admitted as general studies students. General studies students usually take courses required for the university core curriculum. Many of these courses are the same for all majors and allow you to make progress toward completing degree requirements while at the same time investigating subject areas that may help you choose a major or career. General studies students work with academic advisors in the Academic Advising Center who encourage exploring, selecting and committing to an appropriate major. All general studies students must declare a major before they have earned 75 credits. To declare a major, simply complete a change of major form available from the Office of Admissions and the Registrar or at Students receiving GI assistance or veteran’s benefits may be required to change to a declared major to keep their benefits award. Students must have declared a major in order to participate in the Western Undergraduate Exchange program.

The director of the Academic Advising Center functions as the department chair, and the vice provost functions as the dean for general studies and oversees academic assistance and actions concerning general studies students. For more information about general studies, contact the Academic Advising Center, 907-474-6396 or toll free at 888-823-8780, or contact the vice provost’s office at 907-474-2764.


Students admitted in pre-major standing have not met the admission requirements for bachelor’s degrees but are intending to major in a bachelor’s degree. As a bachelor’s-intended student, you will generally work with advisors in the Academic Advising Center, Rural Student Services or a community campus, but it is helpful to also contact the department of your intended major. Because not all requirements for immediate admittance to a bachelor’s degree will have been met, pre-major students will work with an academic advisor to determine the best selection of courses to pursue. Students who are in good standing and have completed 14 credits at the 100 level or above with a C grade average (2.0) or better, of which 9 credits must satisfy baccalaureate core requirements, will be changed to major status. The vice provost will notify students of their change of status and inform the registrar. Pre-major students do not use the change of major form to move from pre-major to major status but may use the form to change from pre-major status in one program to another program. Academic assistance and actions are processed the same as for general studies students.