Athletics and Recreation

For information on recreational activities or intramurals, call 907-474-5886. For intercollegiate athletics information, call 907-474-7205 or visit online at


Sports and recreation activities at UAF are housed in the Student Recreation Center (SRC), the Patty Ice Arena and the Patty Center. The Student Recreation Center provides a weight room and a large gym floor that can be divided into courts for volleyball, tennis, badminton, soccer and basketball. A two-story climbing wall, an eight-lap-mile running track, aerobics/dance floor and cardiovascular machines allow for many options toward a well-rounded workout.

Outdoor fields for soccer and ultimate Frisbee are next to the SRC, and the campus has many miles of cross-country trails for running, walking and skiing, including a lighted ski trail. Recreational skating and hockey games take place along with many games of broomball at the Patty Ice Arena, which is next to the SRC.

The Patty Center gymnasium is the home of the UAF Nanooks Division II volleyball and basketball teams. The 25-yard swimming pool is adjacent to the showers, sauna and locker room where a limited number of full-length and cubicle lockers are available to rent. The rifle and pistol range and two racquetball courts are also housed in the Patty Center.

During the academic year, SRC facilities are open 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 10 p.m. on Saturdays and noon - 7 p.m. on Sundays, with exceptions to the schedule during holiday periods. Eligible students have unlimited access to the facilities when their fees are paid -- just remember to bring your workout shoes; street shoes are not allowed on the court or floors.

For more information, contact the SRC at 907-474-5886, or visit online at

Intramural Sports

The SRC offers a wide variety of structured recreational activities. Intramural leagues and competitions, aerobic workouts and fitness and recreation instruction give students many opportunities to stay fit, learn lifetime skills and use the skills they already have. Additionally, SRC users may pursue their individual recreational interests through unstructured use of the facilities. SRC staff members develop and support sports clubs in response to student interests and the resources available.

Students with disabilities are encouraged to use the SRC and the intramural and recreational sports program. Anyone who is confronted with any barrier to participation is urged to contact the SRC office.

Intercollegiate Athletics

The UAF Nanooks intercollegiate athletic program is a Division II member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) for men's and women's basketball, cross-country running, cross-country skiing, rifle and women's volleyball. UAF is a Division I member of the NCAA for men's ice hockey, a member of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) and the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA).

Students who participate in intercollegiate athletics must meet eligibility requirements. Entering freshmen must:

  1. Be certified through the NCAA Clearinghouse. For more information, see your high school counselor or call the UAF athletic department at 907-474-7205.
  2. Be admitted to UAF in good academic standing.
  3. Provide transcripts for any high school and/or college courses taken.
  4. Provide ACT or SAT scores.

Transferring students must:

  1. Provide high school graduation records including SAT or ACT scores.
  2. Provide transcripts or other official records of previous college experience.
  3. Meet all UAF and NCAA regulations relating to transferring credits and eligibility.

To remain eligible, UAF student athletes must have:

  1. Earned 24 credit hours each year while at UAF.
  2. Earned at least a 2.0 GPA during the preceding academic semester while at UAF.
  3. Earned at least a cumulative 2.0 GPA while at UAF.
  4. Declared a major at the beginning of the third academic year or fifth semester of full-time enrollment.

Each student athlete is responsible for fulfilling UAF and NCAA academic requirements. These requirements may vary depending on the particular sport. The coach of that sport or the intercollegiate athletics department can provide assistance.