2007-2008 Academic Catalog

Services and Resources

General Studies

Students pursuing a bachelor’s degree who haven’t declared a major or haven’t decided which major to pursue are considered general studies students. General studies students usually take courses required for the university core curriculum. Many of these courses are the same for all majors and allow you to make progress toward completing degree requirements, while at the same time investigating subject areas that may help you choose a major or career. General studies students work with advisors in the Academic Advising Center who encourage exploring, selecting and committing to an appropriate major. All degree-seeking students eventually must declare a major--there’s no degree program associated with general studies. To declare a major, simply complete a change of major form available from the Registrar’s Office or online at www.uaf.edu/reg/. Regardless of when you submit the form, your new major becomes effective the beginning of the upcoming fall or spring semester. General studies students with 75 or more earned credits must declare a major prior to registration.

The assistant provost for general studies oversees academic assistance and actions concerning general studies students. For more information about general studies, contact the Academic Advising Center, (907) 474-6396 or toll-free at 1-888-823-8780; Office of Admissions, (907) 474-7500 or 1-800-478-1823; or contact the assistant provost’s office at (907) 474-6634.


Students admitted as pre-major students will generally work with advisors in the Academic Advising Center, Rural Student Services or a community campus, but it is helpful to also contact the department of your intended major. Because not all requirements for immediate admittance to a baccalaureate degree will have been met, pre-major students will work with an advisor to determine the best selection of courses to pursue. Once you have completed 14 credits at the 100-level or above with a C grade average (2.0) or better, of which 9 credits must satisfy general baccalaureate or core requirements, you will be admitted into the specific four-year degree program. The assistant provost for general studies will notify students of their change of status and inform the Registrar. Academic assistance and actions are processed the same as for general studies students.